Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R C Sherriff

Ivor Lee

Talking today a colleague I was intrigued to discover that R C Sherriff's autobigraphy contains virtually nothing about his experience or service during the War.

I had always assumed that "Journey's End" was based on his own experiences. Am I wrong?

Does anyone know anything about his war service or recommend further information on Sherriff.

Many thanks

Ivor

You will get something of his war experience from his chapter in George A Panichas ed `Promise of Greatness' Cassell, London, 1968.

All the best

Charles

Guest J.Woodward

Ivor, I know he joined up shortly after the outbreak of war and served throughout in the East Surreys, rising to the rank of Captain by 1918. After the succes of Journeys End he became a prolific screen writer providing thw scripts for the Four Feathers, Goodbye Mr Chips and the Dambusters amongst others.

Just to add that Journey's End is set in 'A dug out in the British trenches before St Quentin.....' and begins on Monday 18th March 1918. It was first produced on December 9th 1928 at the Apollo Theatre and featured Laurence Olivier as Stanhope. It then moved to the Savoy Theatre in January 1929.

Mike

Sherriff served with the 9th Bn East Surrey Regiment from late 1917 up until March 1918. On 21st March he was in the front line; he got away but many of his fellow officers were killed, wounded or taken prisoner. He is mentioned frequently in this battalion's war diary.

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.

I will pass the information on to my colleague who was intrigued that Sherriff makes so little mention of his war service.