Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Merchantile marine medal and war medal

Kai Mahoney

The Medal Index Cards for these medals are offline on microfiche at Kew in BT351. There are also cards from the Register of Seamen in BT348, BT349 and BT350; these are not a service record, but do give lists of ships numbers, which you then have to look up to find the names of the ships. Here is the National Archives research sheet:

Merchant Seamen: Sea Service Records, 1913-1972

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...?sLeafletID=128

If you can't get to Kew, the originals are held at the Southampton Archives and I think that they may be able to give some details in reply to emails.

Edited by per ardua per mare per terram

Kai is 11 and living in Melbourne Australia, so I don't think a visit to Kew is quite on the agenda as yet. ;)

It sounds like you're going to be washing the car a few more times for yet another medal card, Kai! Great to hear you may be able to get a little bit of information from the Southampton Archives, though.

Allie

Kai is 11 and living in Melbourne Australia, so I don't think a visit to Kew is quite on the agenda as yet. ;)

It sounds like you're going to be washing the car a few more times for yet another medal card, Kai! Great to hear you may be able to get a little bit of information from the Southampton Archives, though.

Allie

Here is an address for Southampton

city.archives@southampton.gov.uk

They are very helpful but there may be a small fee. The seaman's record CR10 carried an identity number (RS2) and / or a 'Dis A' number. Perhaps the medals have this number on them as well (could be a 6 digit number for a seaman or shorter for an officer). The name is key to alphabetic listing but some archives run numerically so the number could be a useful reference.

If the CR10 is found then ships may be listed (also probably 5/6 digit number ) and this can be cross-referenced to the ship's name and other info.

Thanks Allie for the background information, I tend to assume pals are from the UK if nothing is shown in the 'From' section of the profile; good thing there is a way to get them via Southampton.

The Merchantile marine war medals are as Kai has written, they are impressed with just first and last name, plus any initials. The index cards give the identity number and can be used to open up the other research.