Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photograph of Sailly-Sur-La-Lys Cemetry on CWGC Si

dycer

This is possibly one for Terry as he is in the know with the CWGC.

It is coming up for the anniversary of my Uncle's death(582 Pte J Souness 8th Royal Scots died 29 Jan 1915(not a plug to have him remembered on the Forum by the way)) who is buried in the above Cemetery.

The Cemetery photograph on the CWGC Site ilooks wrong and I think is probably one of the Cemeteries on the outskirts of the Village on the road to Estaires.

My assertion is supported out when you compare the photograph to the Cemetery plan.

Can you bring it to the CWGC's attention and ask them to check or is it easier for me to contact them direct?

George

Thank you Terry and please pass on my best wishes to the CWGC.

I only found the Cemetery in 1999 with the help of the Commission's Gardeners working in the Cemeteries on the outskirts of the Village.

I wrote via the Commission at the time to thank the Gardeners for their assistance but I will always be in their debt.

George

Point of clarfication Greenwoodman, the two Cemeteries you photograhed are the ones on the outskirts of the Village on the road to Estaires.

The Churchyard one is in the centre of the Village(actually down a lane on the left from the main road if you approach from Estaires).There is/was a very nice restaurant adjacent to the Church,certainly there in 1999 and 2000.

Sorry Folks,it was not my intention to "set a hare running",merely correct a minor oversight.

George

Richard,

Doesn't surprise me if it's as damp and dark in Sandbach as is it in Macclesfield today(very big grin).

George

• 2 weeks later...