Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hill 160 Aisne 1918

pw643

27/05/18 The Battery Commander took the remaining gun and reported to 75 Inf Bde and took up position on Hill 160. He fired on areas around Ventelay and Roucy but I cant find the Hill, any ideas.

Paul

I am sorry but I have not got a copy of the Trench Map if there was one produced due to the speed of the battles, but I have managed to find a modern map and have located a likely location, see attached map. Both villages would be within easy range, but you did not say what calibre the guns were.

John

post-1365-1193681012.jpg

Thanks John

I have tried to reply on several occasions and then revising my answer as things came to light.

18 pdrs 1 Bty used.

Hill 160 I now believe to lie on the Venteley-Montigny road or just north of Venteley as studying accounts it states that 'I retired south about 4am and came into action on a hill just north of Vandeuil, the enemy advancing over Hill 160.'

He seemed to be firing at targets by sight, taking out one gun team and firing on advancing infantry who were both made to disperse. At 9am he was heavily shelled with gas but he remained in action before moving to hill220 which is my next stumbling block which is in the Jonchery area.

I have been busy sorting out my tour on Friday and your reply has now caused me more pain as I now might venture that way.

many thanks for your help

Paul