Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Halliday - Portishead - ?Somerset Light Infantry

nikki32

Any help at all would be HUGELY appreciated. I am trying to trace my grandfathers world war one records. His name was Francis Harold Halliday - born 1896 in Portishead nr Bristol, Somerset. My dad thinks he served with the somerset light infantry - although I can find no evidence of this. I am trying to compile a family tree for my dad for christmas and would love to include world war one information. Can anyone please advise me of where to start looking? I have looked at the medal rolls and I have found two Francis H Hallidays - one with the RE and one with the ASC, how do I know if one of them will be him?

I am also looking for his cousin - William Halliday born 1896 in Portishead nr Bristol, Somerset.

I have been more successful finding his other cousin Victor Halliday who died 9th Feb 1917 and served with the 11th Battalion Kings Royal Rifle Corps.

Does anyone know if there is any way of finding photographs for soldiers?

I know there are so many questions! If anyone can help you really would be helping a damsel in distress!

Hi Nikki,

Sorry to be of little help, but I have checked the Ancestry online records for his service record but can find no trace. It is always possible it has been mis-filed but I cant see it.

On the medal index cards I found 3 Francis H Hallidays so unless you have specific information it will be very hard to tell from these. Thats not including those just assigned as Francis Halliday.

My best bet would be to look in the local papers for Portishead (if that was where he was living) or try seeing if the Somerset Records office have the absent voters roll for Portishead. He may be included on that.

It is always possible that some of the other more knowledgeable chaps on here may have come across the name in research. In particular Brendan Moorhouse (who has written an excellent book on the 7th Somersets) may have come across him in his research. Being that Portishead is so close to Bristol he may even have gone that way and joined the Gloucesters !

Certainly try the above and apologies for being of very limited assistance

Best of Luck

James

Dear James,

Thanks for your help! It's really frustrating......but I am determined to get to the bottom of it! I want to know all there is to know about what he did in the war. Thanks for the tip of the absent voters....think I will try that next.

Much appreciated that you took the time to reply.

Nikki

Nikki

I don't know if you have this information on Victor. He was born and lived in Portishead and he enlisted in Bristol and he's listed as killed in action.

Hambo

Do you know where they were born in Portishead, since I live there, and could see if it's still standing, maybe take a few pictures if it is?

Do you know where they were born in Portishead, since I live there, and could see if it's still standing, maybe take a few pictures if it is?

That would be absolutely fantastic! I'm not sure whereabouts they were living in portishead though.....can't tell you how much it would mean to me if you could help....

I'm afraid I can't offer much help apart from the aformentioned pictures should you find out more exactly where he was born/lived - Portishead is well known for its "Victorian" High Street, as plenty of old houses survive, so there is a good chance theirs may be amongst them.

Just checked the local directory, and found the following Hallidays listed, maybe worth giving them a call and seeing if they're related?

post-2039-1193415416.jpg

Thanks so much for your help - I'm overwhelmed!! I don't suppose you know if theres a war memorial in portishead with victors name on it do you?? Would love a photo of that if poss - I know its a lot to ask......if I can find the address would you be willing to take a photo for me?

Nikki

The Portishead War Memorial is situated on the North Wall of St Peter's. It was placed over and blocked a medieval door to the North side of the church. It includes the 64 men who gave their lives in the First World War (one quarter of the eligible male population of Portishead) and the 33 in the Second. The memorial was first dedicated on 4 August 1921, seven years to the day from the outbreak of World War 1.

Any connection here?:

http://www.fhhalliday.co.uk/aboutus.htm

Dave

Thanks so much for your help - I'm overwhelmed!! I don't suppose you know if theres a war memorial in portishead with victors name on it do you?? Would love a photo of that if poss - I know its a lot to ask......if I can find the address would you be willing to take a photo for me?

Nikki

The Portishead War Memorial is situated on the North Wall of St Peter's. It was placed over and blocked a medieval door to the North side of the church. It includes the 64 men who gave their lives in the First World War (one quarter of the eligible male population of Portishead) and the 33 in the Second. The memorial was first dedicated on 4 August 1921, seven years to the day from the outbreak of World War 1.

Any connection here?:

http://www.fhhalliday.co.uk/aboutus.htm

Dave

I knew there was a war memorial in Portishead somewhere, but it's been so long since I've seen it (must have been on a school visit well over 10 years ago!) that I'm embarrassed to say I had forgotten where it is! I must reacquaint myself with it forthwith, and probably take a picture or two. I believe it is the graveyard of the same church that has a stone with an inscription about a local officer with the DSO I think, killed in action in France, who probably deserves a picture as well.

If you can find the address Nikki, and if there's any Halliday's on the Memorial, I'll try and get a picture for you.

Any help at all would be HUGELY appreciated. I am trying to trace my grandfathers world war one records. His name was Francis Harold Halliday - born 1896 in Portishead nr Bristol, Somerset. My dad thinks he served with the somerset light infantry - although I can find no evidence of this. I am trying to compile a family tree for my dad for christmas and would love to include world war one information. Can anyone please advise me of where to start looking? I have looked at the medal rolls and I have found two Francis H Hallidays - one with the RE and one with the ASC, how do I know if one of them will be him?

I am also looking for his cousin - William Halliday born 1896 in Portishead nr Bristol, Somerset.

I have been more successful finding his other cousin Victor Halliday who died 9th Feb 1917 and served with the 11th Battalion Kings Royal Rifle Corps.

I know there are so many questions! If anyone can help you really would be helping a damsel in distress!

hello have you tried changing the spelling of his name slightly it might make all the difference . dont forget that in 1914. education wasn't what it is now. i hope this helps you

also try other regements because of the high casualty rate survivers of battalions who's numbers were depleted they were sent to other regements to bring there numbers up to strength

• 5 years later...