Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

URGENT info about the Ulster trench

Devils Own

Aloha

I am going to the Somme tomorrow for the day and need to think about what I'm going to do. I just feel like I need to go tomorrow but have no specific objective in mind.

Does anybody know if it is possible to visit the Ulster trench at Thiepval? If so, what is the form? Do you have to phone up and book etc?

Does anybody have any contact numbers?

Many thanks in advance.

Steve

You need to google for the Somme Heritage Centre - ask for tele numbers there. Teddy (custodians) daughter works there and she should get you sorted .. if poss.

If you go to the Ulster Tower and ask politely, which I am sure you will, Teddy will take you on a tour. It is very much an 'ad hoc' thing, so if he is busy or not there don't be surprised if it is not possible.

Thanks Fellas

I'll give both of those suggestions a go.

Steve

When I was there in April, Teddy mentioned further exploration by a team of archaeologists that was imminent, does anyone know if they did anything ?

Mick D

• 2 weeks later...
When I was there in April, Teddy mentioned further exploration by a team of archaeologists that was imminent, does anyone know if they did anything ?

Mick D

When we visited the Ulster Tower back in September, Teddy told us they were due to have the archaeologists back on Monday 20 October. From memory, he usually takes groups down to the trenches at 11.00am and 3.00pm, but it's always best to 'book your place', just in case.