Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gilbert's "History of WWI"

Guest Morden

Hi,

As you can see i'm new to this forum. I'd like to ask youi about an opinion on Martin Gilbert's "History of WWI". Is it worth buying, as it cost quite much? I'm rather new to WWI history and would like to get all-around book. From what I have seen in book shop it is rather western allies centered.

Are there good books on eastern front and presenting german POV on the war?

Morden

Like other works by Martin Gilbert it is very long and rather rambling. As a one-volume account it suffered by appearing at very much the same time as the book by John Keegan.

One volume books, like Coffee Table books are good introductions and can give you the "sweep" view. I am currently reading Malcom Brown's book published in conjunction with the IWM. (anything I can do on this side of the Atlantic to help this institution, I do) ... it's a wonderful book and provides some German material.

I quite like Gilbert's writing style - lots of interesting details get into his books. Perhaps a bit long, but on the other hand, good value! In my opinion, however, rather than Keegan & Gilbert, the best 'first read' on the war is Trevor Wilson & Robin Prior's The First World War - admirably succinct (unlike the other two), while still covering lots of different angles & fronts well.

For the Eastern Front, in English at least, just about your only option is Norman Stone's The Eastern Front and for a German PoV the best probably is Holger Herwig's The First World War: Germany and Austria-Hungary, 1914-1918.

I am currently reading Malcom Brown's book published in conjunction with the IWM. (anything I can do on this side of the Atlantic to help this institution, I do) ... it's a wonderful book and provides some German material.

I too would recommend this book............whilst not an 'in depth' account, very good all the same...........I also liked Malcom Brown's 'style' of writing............An easy read you would say :D