The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Killed in action

jay dubaya

Hi folks, can anyone enlighten me with soldiers who have DoW and KiA. What if any time factor is involved before being classified as DoW. So say a soldier mortally wounded in battle survives for 2 hours before actually breathing his last breath, how would this be officially recorded DoW or KiA. Or say a wounded soldier dies in the front line without any medical assistance KiA or DoW. Any help much appreciated,

cheers, Jon

There was a similar thread on the forum within the last week or two. I think the rough deciding factor was whether the casualty made it to a CCS whilst still alive. Died before or on arrival = KIA, died theafter = DoW. But it was surely variable.

Ian

A Great Uncle of mine died in Salonika within 24 hours of being wounded and is recorded as DoW

Some Men Lingered for Weeks if not Months and were listed as DOW.

IIRC, the consensus of past threads is that a good rule of thumb is if you survive long enough to see a medic and be recorded, then it'll be died of wounds. Die before that that and it's a Killed in Action.

Again as a rule of thumb I work to the basis that arrive at Main Dressing Station alive and it's certain to be a DoW. Only make to the ADS and it's still probable DoW. Only get as far as the Battalion's medical officer at the RAP and, generally, it's still a DoW. Linger on in the trenches for several hours till the shelling stops and it's KIA.

Exceptions to the rule of thumb occur all the time. I suspect the answer lies in the official recording at the time.

I would concur pretty much with what John has said.

BUT saying that I have an officer who was listed on SDGW, in the Times and local papers as being KIA. BUT the war diary clearly states him by name as having DOW. It would seem he was wounded but died within an hour or so with his men.

Before I got involved with all this research stuff :rolleyes: I was always of the belief that KIA was when they had died instantaneously...... which always seemed to make sense for if they died an hour or a week later then at some stage(for a period of time) they were wounded !!!!

Now I am just confusing myself :blink:

Glyn

Thanks for that fellas, the man I was looking at is listed as KiA on SDGW and DoW in the battalion history. Totally concur with the medic theory,

cheers, Jon