Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who was Sidney W Brothwell

mts

Hi I have recently been given Sidney's Mums Bible that was a gift after his death in WW1. In it is a very sympathetic but religious letter which has made it personal.

Sidney died 26/09/1915 according to CWGC. He is listed on the Loos Memorial

He was In the 8th Bn Lincolnshire Regiment as Pte SW Brothwell 11663.

Can anyone tell me anything about this youngman and or his family. Or does anyone know what medals he would be entitled too and what happened to him, or his medals

He was born in Thurlby Lincs, to Emily and Walton Brothwell, he had an older sister Olive and a younger brother Wilfred also a younger sister Lucy, the letter talks of grief stirred up by Sidney's death. I can't seem to find anything else.

Any info greatly appreciated

Mel

don't know if you've seen this already...or indeed if it tells you anything new...but they can be found listed here.

http://rbrothwell.tripod.com/1901census/1901index.htm

There is no Walton though..but a Walter is good fit.

There seems to be a few Google hits, worth checking 'em through in case

I have thank you and his family is on the census but nothing else

Regards

Mel

Thurlby was my mum's village. I'll see if she remembers the family (She's not THAT old though....)

Steve.

Sorry, Mum has no recollection of a family called Brothwell.

Steve.

Here's 1901 Ancestry census:

Sidney Walton Brothwell b 1894 birth registered 3rd 1/4 1894 in Bourne district.

Son of Walton Brothwell b Ropsley, Lincs 1862 Agricultural labourer

Emily Brothwell b Swinstead, Lincs 1867

Olive Brothwell b Swinstead,Lincs 1893

Sidney Walton Brothwell b Lound, Lincs 1894

Wilfred Walton Brothwell b Thurlby, Lincs 1897

They lived 'at the bottom of Northorpe', Thurlby, Lincs. Which was next to Mill House and Northorpe Farm.

Sandra

Hi I have recently been given Sidney's Mums Bible that was a gift after his death in WW1. In it is a very sympathetic but religious letter which has made it personal.

Can anyone tell me anything about this youngman and or his family. Or does anyone know what medals he would be entitled too and what happened to him, or his medals

He was born in Thurlby Lincs, to Emily and Walton Brothwell, he had an older sister Olive and a younger brother Wilfred also a younger sister Lucy, the letter talks of grief stirred up by Sidney's death. I can't seem to find anything else.

Mel

Mel

1901 Cencus

http://content.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=v...mp;pid=17696835

Birth Register.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.d...amp;recoff=1+3..

Paul

Thurlby and Northorpe form an C shape west of the A15. Thurlby being the bottom of the C and Northorpe the top part. The "bottom of Northorpe" is where the road rejoins the A15.

There aren't any Brothwells buried in the churchyard of St Firmin's Church, so the family may have been only in the village for a short while. I don't know who is on the war memorial, though there are apparently 30-ish names, about 50% of the men who served, apparently.

Steve.

Mel,

Sid's MIC will show he landed 10 Sep 1915, and as such would have been an original member of the 8th Lincs. He enlisted at Bourne, around or on 2 Sep 1914

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Mel

Sidney Brothwell was my Grandfathers older brother. My Grandfather, Wilfred Wright Brothwell served in and survived the war, came home and married the girl next door who had moved to Leicester. I would be very interested in a copy of the letter which was in the bible you acquired, also how did you come by it; have you passed it on; and if so who too? as we have no contact with that side of our family.

I do know a little about the Brothwells when the lived in Thirlby and I also have an account of my Grandfathers time in the trenches, which he dictated to me towards the end of his life. He died in July 1987. His family never let him know of Sidneys death until much later. He had already been sent to the Dardenells when it happened and he was very sad about the facxt that he hadn't been informed.

Pauline22

• 1 year later...

Comment from new member Roadrunner via Report a Post -

i am the grandson of Sydney's brother Wilfred. Recently i travelled to France with my brother and sister and visited gravesite of Sydney.

My mother has a great interest in this letter and bible. Presently she lives in Canada on Vancouver Island but regularly travels to England to visit her sisters and family in Countesthorpe.

• 2 years later...
Guest ktemple

Mel

Hi Mel

I see you haven't been on-line in awhile but hoping you do come back at some point. I am Sidney Brothwell's great niece and am trying to locate this bible for the family

ktemple