Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Crosbie's Craters

snailybailey

My Great Grandfather was KIA with the 11th Bttn LF on 16th May 1916 in an attack following the mining of an area which I believe became known as Crosbie's Craters (named after the Officer in charge I think).

Do any knowledgeable members out there have any more info on the Lancs Fusiliers attack at this time?

I also believe that the craters are still there but may not be visitable. Has anybody visited this area who may have pictures which they could share with me?

Regards

Glyn

:rolleyes:

My Great Grandfather was KIA with the 11th Bttn LF on 16th May 1916 in an attack following the mining of an area which I believe became known as Crosbie's Craters (named after the Officer in charge I think).

Do any knowledgeable members out there have any more info on the Lancs Fusiliers attack at this time?

I also believe that the craters are still there but may not be visitable. Has anybody visited this area who may have pictures which they could share with me?

Regards

Glyn

:rolleyes:

Just had day surgery in Hospital and whilst I was there this is what I read

At 0830pm on May 15th 1916, 182 Tunnelling Company fired a series of mines under the German positions. The main charges were under a German Trench which connected a new crater and an older one some tens of yards away. To protect the infantry attack and to enable them to hold the new craters it was proposed to fire two further charges to the right, near to the German line. These were designed to produce large lips thereby screening the view of the Germans from the attack.

The attack had to be carefully planned. Infantry came from 11 Lancs Fus who attacked the craters on the right and 9 Loyal N Lancs attacked those on the left. The attack on the left craters went well, but elsewhere some of the infantry got too close and were buried in the debris.

Four officers of 11th Lancs were killed in the raid 2/Lts McFarlane, Baker, Jewell and Barrett (Buried at Ecoivres Mil Cem) The new group of craters were named after Crosbie the Battn CO who at the time was temporarily commanding 74 Brigade.

All this takes part just north of Arras on the Vimy Ridge.

Hope this helps

Paul

PS

I may be in the area next week and if I come across the area I will take some snaps.

Paul

Just had day surgery in Hospital and whilst I was there this is what I read

At 0830pm on May 15th 1916, 182 Tunnelling Company fired a series of mines under the German positions. The main charges were under a German Trench which connected a new crater and an older one some tens of yards away. To protect the infantry attack and to enable them to hold the new craters it was proposed to fire two further charges to the right, near to the German line. These were designed to produce large lips thereby screening the view of the Germans from the attack.

The attack had to be carefully planned. Infantry came from 11 Lancs Fus who attacked the craters on the right and 9 Loyal N Lancs attacked those on the left. The attack on the left craters went well, but elsewhere some of the infantry got too close and were buried in the debris.

Four officers of 11th Lancs were killed in the raid 2/Lts McFarlane, Baker, Jewell and Barrett (Buried at Ecoivres Mil Cem) The new group of craters were named after Crosbie the Battn CO who at the time was temporarily commanding 74 Brigade.

All this takes part just north of Arras on the Vimy Ridge.

Hope this helps

Paul

PS

I may be in the area next week and if I come across the area I will take some snaps.

Fantastic info Paul, thank you...and if you manage to get some pictures please PM me to let me know.

Much appreciated. Out of interest, my Great Grandfather is also buried at Ecoivres along with the Officers you mention

Paul