The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Possible WW1 Soldiers Death

Terry Carter

I have a map of North West Europe (1/250,000) issued by the War Office 1915. Two villages, Gommecourt and Souastre (Somme north) have been circled plus another two villages, Velu and Ruyaulcourt are circled which indicate where a person was killed and buried.

The name appears to be Bob Hilsdan. I have tried several combinations of the surname on the CWGC search site and also Soldiers Died and have found nothing.

Can anyone in the Forum help please.

Regards

Terry

post-66-1193039752.jpg

Terry, have played as well.

only thing I can throw in is from National Archives medal cards.

Hilsden Robert, Queens Regt 50397 and Labour Corps 80577.

yet again neither come up on sdgw

Cheers John

I see that LEBUCQUIERE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION, was enlarged after the war when graves from the surrounding area were moved. Perhaps 'Bob' was the name his mates knew him as.

Terry

Private CECIL FRANCIS HILSDON

128509, 42nd, Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)

who died age 29

on 21 September 1918

Son of Mrs. Hilsdon, of Hockmore St., Cowley; husband of Olive May Hilsdon, of 59, Hertford St., Cowley St. John, Oxford.

Remembered with honour

LEBUCQUIERE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

HilsdOn, not HilsdEn.

Kath.

Not Holmes, nor even Morse's Lewis - but I've looked at the GRO War Deaths indexes on findmypast.com and found 15 Hillsden/don or Hilsden/don entries. I've tied 14 of them to CWGC.

The only one at Lebucqiuere is Cecil F. Hilsdon as posted by Kath. There's also a Sidney Hilsden (Hilsdon on CWGC), Pte L/15710, Mdx at Gommecourt.

I couldn't find Claude Hilsdon, Dmr. 7544, S. Gds who died in 1918 on CWGC.

Jim

Another route might be through the cemetery. Looks like he was not "buried where he fell", so if a cemetery at or near Ruyaulcourt could be identified it may provide a clue to a misspelling of the name.

John

I guess there's a probability that this map was used on an early pilgrimage in the 20s and 'Bob' having being buried by his pals where he fell was later interred at Lebucquere...just a thought. Do the CWGC hold data regarding re-interrement?

cheers, Jon

Terry

The following soldier's second name was Robert according to SDGW:

HILLSDON

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Sussex Regiment

Unit Text: "C" Coy. 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 24/09/1918

Service No: G/20721

Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. George Hillsdon husband of Daisy May Hillsdon, of 76c, The Chase, Clapham, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: B. 2.

Cemetery: BERTHAUCOURT COMMUNAL CEMETERY, PONTRU

Myrtle

Myrtle, I think this cemetery is too far away to include the fella that Terry is seeking...good hunting though,

cheers, Jon

There's another possible: Rfn 554685 Frederick R Hillsden (Hillsdon on CWGC), London Regt, died 1918, buried at St Sever Cem. Extension. Could be a 'Bob'. Dunno about cem. location though...

Jim

Myrtle, I think this cemetery is too far away to include the fella that Terry is seeking...good hunting though,

cheers, Jon

10 miles as the crow flies!

how about, as its circled on the map, I guess it must be near and there were clearance burials. no idea where the bob comes from though

HILSDON

Initials: S

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Middlesex Regiment

Unit Text: 4th Bn.

Date of Death: 10/04/1918

Service No: 15710

Additional information: Son of Albert and Susan Jane Hilsdon, of 152, Daubeney Rd., Clapton, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: V. F. 18.

Cemetery: GOMMECOURT BRITISH CEMETERY No.2, HEBUTERNE

There's another possible: Rfn 554685 Frederick R Hillsden (Hillsdon on CWGC), London Regt, died 1918, buried at St Sever Cem. Extension. Could be a 'Bob'. Dunno about cem. location though...

Jim

Jim

This is possibly Frederick Richard Hillsdon born 1899 Fulham.

Jay

Seems to me that rather than distance, the problem with my suggestion is that the soldier William Robert Hillsdon was buried in Berthaucourt which ties in with the Sussex men being buried there on 24th September 1918 the date of A/Cpl Hillsdon's death.

Myrtle

Thanks agan for all your replies. I think whoever 'Bob' was, he was killed in September 1918. Ruyaulcourt was behind our lines for the attack on part of the Hindenburg Line the other side of Havrincourt Wood.

The map probably belonged to someone who went on a Battlefield pilgrimage in the 1920's, I would imagine.

I bought the map from a dealer, many years ago, who used to visit the B'ham WFA and set up a stand during branch meetings. He has since died.

There is nothing else marked on the map.

Regards

Terry