Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which J P Hughes

excrable

From the medal Index Card I have found three possibles for my Grandfathers ID.I am unable to progress further as when I attempt to fill in a form to order a search in WO 363,I get nowhere.Can anyone help please.He was in the war from 1914-1918/20.He was in the Artillery,said to have ridden a horse pulling a gun and to have been wounded.He was 39 when the war started so could have been in the Territorials.

Have you downloaded these three MICs? Unless there is something specific on them that allows you to ID your man then what you need will be his service file. That requires a trip to Kew, or paying a professional researcher or asking a pal on here to do a lookup favour (see the Kew section further down the home page). As you may know (if you have read the link to The Long Long Trail above) only about one third survive.

Any chance you have his medals in the family?

With a frequently occuring name such as Hughes it might not prove easy for you.

Ian

From the medal Index Card I have found three possibles for my Grandfathers ID.I am unable to progress further as when I attempt to fill in a form to order a search in WO 363,I get nowhere.Can anyone help please.He was in the war from 1914-1918/20.He was in the Artillery,said to have ridden a horse pulling a gun and to have been wounded.He was 39 when the war started so could have been in the Territorials.

Try JP Hughes BDR 100874 Image 126429/19648

Try JP Hughes BDR 100874 Image 126429/19648

Forgot to say his MIC says Gunner acting Bombadier.

I searched Hughes J and Artillery.

I then searches J P and there is only one

First time I searched Hughes JP and got your 3 searches, maybe there was no space between the J & P, strange but there is your answer!

Phil

Hi

I had already looked on Ancestry for this JP Hughes. Only one listed from the R. L R. whose No. was 307788.

Even so, could still be available at Kew.

Regards

PS Hi Phillip, how are you?

Image details

Description Medal card of Hughes, J P

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Field Artillery 100874 Gunner Acting Bombardier

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/23

Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies

Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War

Piece Women's Services, Distinguished Conduct Medals and Military Medals

Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection

Number of image files: 1

Image Reference Format and Version Part Number Size (KB) Number of Pages Price (£)

126429 / 19648 PDF 1.2 1 254 1 3.50

Total Price (£) 3.50

THIS IS FROM NATIONAL ARCHIVES (CUT & PASTE)

How do things go missing in Cyberspace?

Hi

I had already looked on Ancestry for this JP Hughes. Only one listed from the R. L R. whose No. was 307788.

Even so, could still be available at Kew.

Regards

PS Hi Phillip, how are you?

Many thanks to you all,especially to Philip Roder,I will crack on from here and let you know how I get on.

Excrable.