The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

CWGC Queries

Seadog

Yet another one for Terry Denham. Is it me or does the CWGC website demand exact descriptions when you search for a cemetery?. I have found that this appears to be the case and I think that a more intuitive search mechanism would be desirable. Try searching for TRACK X if you want an example. On another subject related to the CWGC, will it ever be possible for a search to be made by Ship Name when searching for Merchant Navy casualties. After all the entire MN Memorial at Tower Hill, London is recorded by Ship.

Norman

Queries

You can search on any part of the cemetery name simply by inserting an asterisk before and after the section you type in - eg *Track* or *ack*. Your typing *Track X* would fail in any system as the correct name is - TRACK "X" CEMETERY - You have to include the quotes.

You must remember that the CWGC database is designed solely for relatives to find the commemoration location of their loved ones. It is not there to aid researchers. Relatives would be looking for a name not the name of a ship.

If you ever want the names for a particular ship, PM me.

Terry, many thanks for the info. Sorry to appear to be pedantic but would you like to add the “wild card” info to the website as now all it says is “you can complete a search successfully by entering the cemetery name”. And again apologies but if I search for instance on “No Mans Cot” in Goggle the results are instantly accurate, whereas in the CWGC no result is returned. On the subject of the MN records I do not agree with your contention that a search by ship is only for researchers. As a member of the Merchant Navy Association I am often asked to provide info with regard to the number and the names of seamen lost on a particular vessel and this from the relatives of the fallen. A facility to search by ships name would be invaluable and since I assume that the name is recorded on the CWGC record I cannot see why this is not made available to the public through the web site..

Norman

try

no man's cot

or even

no ma*

Norman

Sorry, you are still looking at it from a researcher's point of view.

If relatives ask for the names of other crew members, that is research. The database is only for relatives to obtain the location of their own loved one's commemoration not anybody else's. CWGC is not permitted to spend its funds on providing research services under the terms of its Royal Charter - as annoying as that is!

You must use the correct name to search for cemeteries including any apostrophes etc - or use other letter combinations as suggested above.

I would like to help you with regards to the note on the CWGC site but I do not work for the Commission!

track* will get you

TRACK "X" CEMETERY s

so will track "x" cemetery

mick

try

no man's cot

or even

no ma*

Hi Mick

Thanks but no man`s cot will not work and no mention of the "wild card" facility is made on the web site. Moreover try this for size:

Just one more question with regard to the CWGC database. Why is it that when searching for a person for which the year of death is not known that the system returns a “not found 0 records. Surely users do not always know the year of death. If you want to check this look at one of my local fallen, ALBERT ELMES died 1916.

INPUT

ELMES

A

First World War

UNKNOWN

UNKNOWN

Army

United Kingdom

“No record found”

Norman

PS I now give up!!

Norman

Sorry, you are still looking at it from a researcher's point of view.

If relatives ask for the names of other crew members, that is research. The database is only for relatives to obtain the location of their own loved one's commemoration not anybody else's. CWGC is not permitted to spend its funds on providing research services under the terms of its Royal Charter - as annoying as that is!

You must use the correct name to search for cemeteries including any apostrophes etc - or use other letter combinations as suggested above.

I would like to help you with regards to the note on the CWGC site but I do not work for the Commission!

Thanks Terry much appreciated - I will contact the CWGC with these queries as I believe that in this day and age it is and should be possible to rectify the omissions.

Norman

edited to include

I really thought that you worked for the CWGC - Apologies

Norman

You are entering ELMES incorrectly. The system does find it.

You do NOT enter 'Unknown' if you do not know the year. You leave the box with the default dash. This finds him OK.

You only enter 'Unknown' when you only have a start year or finish year. I agree that this is not explained on the site but a little practice helps you twig the nuances of the system.

The reality is that the fewer filters you apply the better.