The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1/4 welsh regiment

allisonrees

I am a novice at this so I need all the help I can get. I have been trying to find out more about my grandfather a Pte Mansel Lewis who served with 1/4 Welsh Regiment in Galipolli, he landed there in august 1915 not sure where else. At some stage he was wounded and posted into the labour corps not sure of this date. I have found his medal card however cannot seem to get any further. Any help or dirrection would be most grateful.

Allison

:rolleyes:

Hi Allison, welcome to the forum :D

The 1/4th Welsh (TF) formed in Carmarthen and became part of 159th Brigade 53rd (Welsh) Division which was a territorial force division already in existence at the outbreak of war. The division served in Egypt, Gallipoli and Palestine where they remained until the armistice.

I live in Pembrokeshire where the 1/4th recruted many loacal lads and spent some time training prior to their overseas posting. I have some personal diary extracts and photos from a local soldier who served and was wouned with the battalion at Suvla Bay. There is also a small collection of local newspaper pictures of the 1/4th in St. Davids, Happy to help if I can,

cheers, Jon

Many thanks ger & jon for your replies. He was born in 1895 in Llanelli, Carmarthern no othr names just Mansel lewis. Anything you might think relevant Jon I would be most gratefull. I also know his brother in law a William Griffiths was killed in WW 1, don't know much about him only that he was livving in Llanelli in 1901 census and the family originally came from Haverfordwest.

Once agian thank you for your help

Allison

Hi Allison, let me have your email address and in return I'll send you a few bits and pieces. I'm just outside Haverfordwest and have just discovered the records office.

There is a Gunner William James Griffiths RFA listed on the Llanelli War Memorial, he is shown on SDGW as being born and enlisted in Llanelli KiA 14/06/17,

cheers, Jon

• 7 years later...

Hello,

I recently joined the forum and I am trying to find out about my grandfather who was in the 4th welsh when war broke out and was the last soldier to return to pembroke in 1919. He was at Suvla, Gaza etc but I would like to find out about his battalion 's exploits and movements in Galipolli. It was believed he may have been mentioned in dispatches for breaking up a Turkish raiding party one night - many of his compatriots mentioned this to my father but my granf was evasive about the war. He had his fingerstips blown off whilst demonstrating grenade drill and ended the war in the pioneer corp.

Jim,

It would help the forum if you gave your grandfather's name, and if possible, his service number.

If you look up his medal index card (or someone on the forum would with the above details) hopefully it would mention his entitlement to the emblem (oak leaf) for being mentioned in despatches, thus confirming that he was mentioned.

His name, etc. could also lead to more information being uncovered.

Harry

Harry,

Thanks for replying. My granf was James Phillips, original no. 3635. No. then changed to 200717. 4th Welsh which amalgamated with the 5th Welsh following losses at Galipolli. On his medal card there is some added writing which I would like to know the significance of.

The writing on the medal card obviously shows his date of entry to the theatre of war. The words alongside the medal details are references to the actual medal roll books at the National Archives. No mention of an MID on the card as far as I can see.

Send me your e-mail address and I'll send you some details from the History of the Welsh Regiment re the 4th Welsh. Might take a week or so though...

Bernard

Looking at the London Gazette for despatches from Sir Ian Hamilton for the Gallipoli operations the only one found listing 'mentions' for the Welsh Regiment (T.F.) is

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29455/supplement/1195

No Pte. Phillips mentioned, scroll forward to page 1202 for Welsh Regt. (T.F.) and Service Bns.

There were other despatches with lists of names mentioned, but not including any for the Welsh Regt.

Issue 29251 of 3.8.1915 page 7665 on.

Issue 29354 of 5.11. 1915 page 10995 on

There were several other despatches reporting on the military operations and some with minor corrections to names.

Edit:

The note 'D/E 7.7.19' in the 'Remarks' section means 'disembodied 7.7.1919'; disembodied being the term for discharge relating to a Territorial Force serviceman.