Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme Cemeteries

Terry Carter

When I visit the Somme and there is a 'first-timer' with us, apart from visiting the usual places i.e. Lochnagar Crater, Thiepval, Newfoundland Park etc, we always visit a few cemeteries to pay our respects. Usually it is left to me which ones we visit. Therefore Flat Iron Copse, with three sets of brothers and a VC is one of my favourite cemeteries or Dartmoor Cemetery to visit the graves of the father & son buried next to each other. Of course, Henry Webber aged 68, is also buried there along with another VC and an executed soldier. Caterpillar Valley and Serre 1 & 2 are also high on my list due to the amount of Royal Warwicks that are in them.

Would other Forum members like to explain which Somme Battlefield cemeteries they visit more often and the reason why.

Thanks Terry

Lonsdale, my grandfather lies there, and Flat Iron Copse I like to visit both at sunrise, you can feel the atmosphere at flat iron, it is almost tangible, especilly if there is a mist coming up through death valley from caterpillar valley, simply humbling.

Terry

For me its Grove Town. Firstly its where my wifes GGFather is buried, Gunner Wildish (see signature)

But mostly it has an eerie silence to it. Totally tranquil place.

Glyn

post-5500-1192897264.jpg

Hi.

Authuille Military Cemetery, very emotive looking across the Ancre marshes, well worth reading Charles Douie before visiting, and, Lancashire Dump in May, never heard so many cuckoos in my life, absolutely beautiful.

Regards,

Chris.

Terry

Serre number 2 my great uncle was killed in action with the 1/6th Bn Royal Warwicks on the 1st July 1916 but was never found, when i look at the unknown warwicks in this cemetery i just wonder if he could be among them.

Tony

When I visit the Somme and there is a 'first-timer' with us, apart from visiting the usual places i.e. Lochnagar Crater, Thiepval, Newfoundland Park etc, we always visit a few cemeteries to pay our respects. Usually it is left to me which ones we visit. Therefore Flat Iron Copse, with three sets of brothers and a VC is one of my favourite cemeteries or Dartmoor Cemetery to visit the graves of the father & son buried next to each other. Of course, Henry Webber aged 68, is also buried there along with another VC and an executed soldier. Caterpillar Valley and Serre 1 & 2 are also high on my list due to the amount of Royal Warwicks that are in them.

Would other Forum members like to explain which Somme Battlefield cemeteries they visit more often and the reason why.

Thanks Terry

Redan Ridge Number 3, (or any of the Redan ridge cemetries for that matter) on the northern end of the battlefield, around Serre. Spectacular view all the way across to Thiepval. Gives u a real view of what was fought over. Hope this helps.

Dave

No other reason but peaceful

Hawthorne Ridge No.1 is a special one for me and Mrs P. Just many memories of walking there in either glorious spring sunshine, bleak grey skies or mist and fog. Always special to stand in peace and look all around.

An honourable mention goes to the pair of Sunken Road and 2nd Canadian as well as Ten Trees Alley on the Redan Ridge.

And as there was no distiction made in the question I would also like to note Fricourt German cemetery - a very moving place.

Interesting that Glyn mentions Grove Town as this is also well up on my list. It has the grave of my favourite poet Leslie Coulson and has such an isolated position. It also has the grave of the tank officer Lt Macpherson about which there is a current thread. Also an interesting private grave allowed to remain.

But there are so many that stir the soul and are full of interest.

• Admin

Point 110 Old. I accepted Waynes proposal there. Tweny years on, it is still our special place.

After that Thistle Dump, our nickname for our firstborn was TD when he was in utero, as Dad made a quip that we would call our first child Thsitle Dump.......He is actually Tom David.

I go for Thistle Dump because it is a quiet pause on a wonderful walk encompassing Bazentin le Petit and High Wood. Frankfurt Trench is another favourite - away from the main run of things and with wonderful views.

I go for Thistle Dump because it is a quiet pause on a wonderful walk encompassing Bazentin le Petit and High Wood. Frankfurt Trench is another favourite - away from the main run of things and with wonderful views.

Move above the main Somme cemeteries and go to the relatively rarely visited Vis en Artois. Cerebral and beautiful. regards, Elaine