Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank Corps Honours -World War 1

Doug Lewis

I have copy of the Tank Corp Honours.

It covers Immediate awards with Citations for Officers and Other ranks,which include MC DSO DCM and MM.

Also a list of recipients of awards which were not Immediate giving name rank unit and date of award,these awards include Legion d'Honneur,MC,DSO,Brevets & MSM.

Willing to do look ups.

Regards Doug

Guest Pete Wood

Doug is this an aphabetical listing - or is there a way of finding out who was decorated by unit....??

I am interested in the E Battalion detachment in Palestine.

RT

Yes it's alphabetically listed,but given time i will look through it for you.

Summary of awards Palastine

Officers-1 DSO 3 MC Other Ranks- 4 DCM 1 MM

Cooper J, Pte XO1, Palastine Detachment (E Coy),Gaza,Nov 2nd 1917,MM (Number not given) for conspicuous bravery in bringing in wounded under very heavy shell fire during the 3rd battle of gaza.

V Hatherall L/Cpl,P Janes Pte X04,J Oldknow Pte X04 Palastine Detachment (E Coy)

Gaza 1917 DCM (number not given)

On April 17 1917 for conspicuous gallentry in rescuing the officer and four men of a burning tank in operations against Gaza.

These three men were all wounded but succeeded in carrying the rescued officer and men to a trench 200 yards behind them under heavy fire.They then went forward again to the burning tank in an endeavour to save the guns

Shore (no other info)

This officer was in command of a tank operating against the Gaza defences. With conspicuous gallentry he attacked El Arish Redoubt and held same for half an hour unsupported by infantry. Though he himself and all his crew were wounded,he managed to get the tank safely back to our lines under most difficult circumstances after inflicting casualties on the enemy.

Winder (no other info).

This officer was in command of a tank operating against the Gaza defences. With conspicuous gallentry he attacked the Turkish positions,inflicting heavy casualties and rolling down the wire,let our infantry through and afterwoods patrolled the position while the infantry consolidated it.

Regards Doug

Guest Pete Wood

Doug this is great. Thank you for taking the time to trawl through your book.

All but two of these men are new names to me.

If you turn up any other names, it would be much appreciated.

I shall now go and spend some time on the London Gazette site ;)

RT

Your welcome. :D

Could you post or email me any information that you find about the officers for whom I had no information.

Regards Doug

• 2 years later...

Smashing...

Can you check out Captain Joseph Daniel Unwin, 15th Battalion, MC gazetted 2-12-1918. Won some time after his transfer in January 1918. Ex-6th Northamptonshire Regiment officer.

I have the Gazette citation but would like to place it in time and space..

Thanks.

Steve.

UNWIN T. Capt. UNWIN, JOSEPH DANIEL. 15th Battn. Awarded MC. For conspicuous gallantry on August 21, 1918, at the attack on the Arras-Albert railway. This officer was second in command of a company of tanks operating in front of the infantry. Realising that there was a danger of his tanks losing direction owing to the thick mist, Capt Unwin went ahead on foot in front of the tanks and infantry, under heavy machine-gun and rifle fire, to locate the crossings of the railway which were his objective. He then returned to his tanks, and again walking in the open just ahead of them guided them successfully to their objectives Capt. Unwin showed a total disregard for his personal safety, and it was undoubtedly due to his gallantry that the tanks reached their objectives up to time.

Thanks, Delta.

Just out of interest was Ralph Wadeson's MC in the same Gazette for the same action?

T/2nd Lieut. Ralph Archibald Wadeson, 15th Bn., Tank Corps.

He commanded his Tank in an attack with great gallantry, leading it on foot, in face of heavy machine-gun fire, in order to keep the right direction, through a heavy mist. Having secured the position for the infantry, he pushed forward and accounted for many machine guns and snipers. It was largely due to his coolness and good judgment that the objective was reached by the infantry with few casualties.

Steve.

Steve - you're welcome; pleased to help as you've given me so much help before. Unfortunately the CD is in the office so will not be able to confirm details until Monday; furthermore the CD only gives extracts based on a very cunning search system not the whole document.

However the CD is a useful tool and readily available on e-bay ; I think I paid a fiver for it.

Stephen :ph34r:

Quid pro quo, Stephen.

No problem. Just spotted two very similar awards in the same gazette. Definitely not a burning issue.

I wouldn't mind a precis of the 15th Battalions actions in 1918 if such a thing is available. It's only to add a little to Captain Unwin's history, so don't put yourself out...

Steve.

WADESON T/2nd Lt ARCHIBALD RALPH. 15th Bn. Awarded MC.

On August 21, 1918, during the attacw on the Arras-Albert railway, this officer was in command of a tank which he led on foot in the thick fog prevailing all the way to his objective, in front of the infantry. Despite machine-gun and rifle fire and the thickness of the fog, this officer reached his objective on time, and secured the railway embankment north-east of Logeast Wood, for the infantry, and carried on patrolling on the far side of the embankment, killing a number of machine-gunners and snipers It was greatly due to this officer’s coolness and judgment under very difficult circumstances that this portion of the objective was secured at a very light cost to the infantry. He set a fine example of courage and devotion to duty to his crew, who splendidly responded to his leadership

Stephen

I wouldn't mind a precis of the 15th Battalions actions in 1918 if such a thing is available.

Soory for the long wait; my CD of the "Tank Honours" does not have a precis but I will look at my other books and see if I can find out

Stephen :rolleyes:

Doug,

Could I please take you up on your generous offer, and request a check for any mention of Captain Alfred Reginald Morgan.

Many Thanks

Gavin

Gavin

There is entry for a Morgan but it does not give the frst name, rank or the award they received. So not much use to you.

Regards Doug,

Doug,

Thanks very much for checking for me. I'm sorry to cause you more trouble, but could you tell me in what context this Morgan is mentioned.

Thanks again!

Gavin

Gavin

This is the entry under immediate awards-officers.

MORGAN August 19, 1917 Operations in the Ypres Salient For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He reached his objective at the Triangle, and drove the enemy out. He inflicted severe losses on them with his Lewis guns. Although his tank was ditched, he materially assisted the infantry in consolidating their position. Although all except one of his crew were wounded with bullet splashes, he was able to get his tank back to the rallying point in the evening.

Regards Doug

This Morgan is probably:

T./Lt. Esmond Thomas Morgan, Tank Corps.

(London Gazette 18-10-1917)

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Citation.

London Gazette 7-3-1918

T./Lt. Esmond Thomas Morgan, Tank Corps.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty when in command of a tank. In spite of great difficulties he reached his objective and drove the enemy out, inflicting severe losses on them. He materially assisted the

infantry in consolidating their position. By his determined action this officer was mainly instrumental in the capture of an important

point with practically no loss.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
RT

Yes it's alphabetically listed,but given time i will look through it for you.

Summary of awards Palastine

Officers-1 DSO 3 MC Other Ranks- 4 DCM 1 MM

Cooper J, Pte XO1, Palastine Detachment (E Coy),Gaza,Nov 2nd 1917,MM (Number not given) for conspicuous bravery in bringing in wounded under very heavy shell fire during the 3rd battle of gaza.

V Hatherall L/Cpl,P Janes Pte X04,J Oldknow Pte X04 Palastine Detachment (E Coy)

Gaza 1917 DCM (number not given)

On April 17 1917 for conspicuous gallentry in rescuing the officer and four men of a burning tank in operations against Gaza.

These three men were all wounded but succeeded in carrying the rescued officer and men to a trench 200 yards behind them under heavy fire.They then went forward again to the burning tank in an endeavour to save the guns

Shore (no other info)

This officer was in command of a tank operating against the Gaza defences. With conspicuous gallentry he attacked El Arish Redoubt and held same for half an hour unsupported by infantry. Though he himself and all his crew were wounded,he managed to get the tank safely back to our lines under most difficult circumstances after inflicting casualties on the enemy.

Winder (no other info).

This officer was in command of a tank operating against the Gaza defences. With conspicuous gallentry he attacked the Turkish positions,inflicting heavy casualties and rolling down the wire,let our infantry through and afterwoods patrolled the position while the infantry consolidated it.

Regards Doug

I found the above by googling (even though I subscribe to this website!) E Company Tank Battalion Gaza 1917. It's been 2 years since you posted; I hope you are still on the website.

My father, Roy Ansted Winder, was the Winder mentioned above. He was in command of the female tank, Kia Ora. I am his daughter, Elizabeth, born late in his life, researching his mililtary experiences for my two sons. His letters from the Front and his medals were destroyed in his parents' London house during the Blitz, as were his other records in the War Office.

It is also possible that my uncle, Donald Winder, may have been in Palestine but I don't think there were two M.C.'s in the family. I haven't yet researched my uncle.

If I can be of any help, or perhaps we can help each other, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you so much.

was this on the attack at achiet le grand and the railway crossing was it south achiet le grand do you have more on the 15th bn during the attack of the 21 august 1918

i have the 10th and the 3rd diary

philippe

UNWIN T. Capt. UNWIN, JOSEPH DANIEL. 15th Battn. Awarded MC. For conspicuous gallantry on August 21, 1918, at the attack on the Arras-Albert railway. This officer was second in command of a company of tanks operating in front of the infantry. Realising that there was a danger of his tanks losing direction owing to the thick mist, Capt Unwin went ahead on foot in front of the tanks and infantry, under heavy machine-gun and rifle fire, to locate the crossings of the railway which were his objective. He then returned to his tanks, and again walking in the open just ahead of them guided them successfully to their objectives Capt. Unwin showed a total disregard for his personal safety, and it was undoubtedly due to his gallantry that the tanks reached their objectives up to time.

Have checked all my books but have no details of the 15th Bn attack, other than it formd part of 2nd Tank Bde

Stephen

Have checked all my books but have no details of the 15th Bn attack, other than it formd part of 2nd Tank Bde

Stephen

ok

thanks