Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bad Lads Army

PBI

During the Latter Years of WW1 when Manpower was becoming an Acute Problem,i was wondering if a "Young Offender" or a "Habitual Offender" would have been given the Chance by the presiding Magistrate to prove His worth by Volunteering for Service in the Military.I realise that Mr.Van Emden has Highlighted a Few Known types of this case,but i was wondering if there would have been a covert Agenda in place that would have allowed the Legal Powers in place at the Time to bypass the Mandatory Sentence to be imposed for Crimes,enabling the Criminal to enter the Military,where as Years before any man with the Stain of a Criminal Conviction would have been refused to serve in H.M. Forces..Also would Borstals and Young Offenders Institutes have provided a Fertile Ground for the Recruitment of Boys/Men already serving Time for Offences committed Before or During Hostilitied..were these stablishments "Combed out" with the result that Many Inmates being offered a Second Chance or some type of Amnesty ?

I don't know about the First War, Russell, but I do know that in the Second War, Glasgow gang members were given the option to serve instaed of going to jail.

Marina

Yes indeed Marina,one of My Relatives was Due for a long Stretch for an Armed Robbery in 1941 ,but instead was offered a Position in the 8th Army,and ended up with a D.C.M..and stayed on in the Army eventually becoming a CSM.and one of the Straighest Men i have ever Met...... :D

From what the Family mentions Marina,i think He was a Very Young Lad that Fell in with the Wrong Crowd,His Father having been Killed at Gallipoli,and his Mum had to bring in Money to keep Body and Soul Together,so his upbringing was Neglected. :(