Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Inniskilling Fusiliers

Stephen Barker

I'd be grateful if anyone could enlighten me with this.

A work colleague's great uncle died on this day.

JOHNSTON, EDWIN CHARLES

Initials: E C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Unit Text: 7th Bn.

Date of Death: 17/03/1916

Service No: 26383

Additional information: Son of David and Elizabeth Johnston, of Broomhill, Almavanog, Dungannon, Co. Tyrone.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. E. 48.

Cemetery: LILLERS COMMUNAL CEMETERY

Anyone with SDGW if you can add to this that would be great.

Thank you for any help.

Stephen

Sadly I no longer have Tom Johnstone's excellent 'Orange Green and Khaki' .. however, something does stick in my mind about a bad gas attack in the Loos sector around this time???

Sadly I no longer have Tom Johnstone's excellent 'Orange Green and Khaki' .. however, something does stick in my mind about a bad gas attack in the Loos sector around this time???

Des,

Thanks to this. The attack you refer to was at Hulluch from April 27th.

I'm looking to find out what the unit was doing and where they were on March 17th.

Thank you

Stephen

I'd be grateful if anyone could enlighten me with this.

A work colleague's great uncle died on this day.

JOHNSTON, EDWIN CHARLES

Initials: E C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Unit Text: 7th Bn.

Date of Death: 17/03/1916

Service No: 26383

Additional information: Son of David and Elizabeth Johnston, of Broomhill, Almavanog, Dungannon, Co. Tyrone.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. E. 48.

Cemetery: LILLERS COMMUNAL CEMETERY

Anyone with SDGW if you can add to this that would be great.

Thank you for any help.

Stephen

Hope the following may be of interest to you. It is copied from a newspaper dated 25th March 1916; -

Private Edmund Johnston 7th Inniskillin Fusiliers, second son of Mr David Johnston, Altnavannog, Dungannon County Tyrone, succumbed to a head wound sustained following a fracture of the scull by an accidental fall in the trenches in France. An older brother is serving with the Ulster Division (36th Division).

A few weeks later the following appeared; -

A letter has been received from an officer in the Inniskillins stating that Private Edwin Johnston was wounded by shrapnel in the first (fire?) line trenches and died a week later in hospital. It had previously been reported that the deceased had met his injuries through accidentally falling into a trench.

While the first names differ it would appear the reports are referring to the same soldier. The townland names (Altnavannog, Almavanog) also differs. Could this be a clerical error?

Stuart

Thank you again for the information. I'd be grateful if you would let me know the date of the second newspaper item if you would.

Your efforts are much appreciated..

Regards

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Your man's entry from Ireland's Memorial Records:

Johnston, Edwin. Reg. no. 26383, Rank, Private, 7th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers; died of wounds, France, March 17, 1916; born Broomhill, Dungannon, Co. Tyrone.

The "died of wounds" would seem to tie in with the story above. I checked Orange, Green and Khaki, but there doesn't seem to have been anything spectacular on that day, nor for a week or two before that. If your contact wants a copy of his entry, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send it on.

Bad day for an Irishman to die, by the way - it's St. Patricks Day. But then there is probably never a good day to die :unsure:

Regards,

Liam.

Stephen,

Below is the complete entry in the Cookstown News for the 25th March 1916. It is on page 3, column c, i.e. the third column in from the left hand side of the page.

I will forward to you the date of the second entry ASAP.

Stuarty.

LOCAL CASUALTIES.

Mr. David Johnston, Altnavannog, Dungannon, has received intimation that his second son, Private Edmund Johnston, 7th Inniskilling Fusiliers, has succumbed to a head wound. He had sustained fracture of the skull by an accidental fall in the trenches in France. In a letter received from Captain Holmes, chaplain to the forces, he says : —“Your brave lad I have just laid to rest. I wrote you a short time ago, to let you know he was wounded. His was a head wound, and he passed away in spite of the best skill and nursing which was given him. I trust you will always find comfort in the fact that he laid down his life in a just cause. I enclose a memorial card. I am glad to have some little chats with him, and you will be pleased to learn how calmly and bravely he faced death, and as I feel sure in the faith of the Saviour. May God comfort and maintain you in this your time of sorrow.” The deceased soldier, who was very young, had volunteered about 6 months ago and had only been at the front three weeks. He was an enthusiastic member of the Derrycreevy section of the U.V.F. His elder brother, Fred, an old Dungannon Royal School boy, is serving with the Ulster Division in France.

Stuart,

This is marvellous. Thank you so much.

Stephen

Stuart,

Thanks again. Let me know if I can help you. See my profile for details.

Was the latter extract the entire piece? If not would it be possible to copy the whole??

Hope you don't mind me asking.

All the best

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...

Stephen,

That was the entire item.

As an aside there was a Dungannon Royal School’s roll of honour in the Cookstown News, December 1914 which listed an Johnston F.G. 9th Inniskilling Fusiliers. Perhaps this was his brother.

Stuarty