Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this an artillery uniform?

petersloan

Can anyone confirm that this uniform is Royal Field Artillery? If not then which unit? Any idea what the stripes or lanyard indicate?

post-26144-1192737213.jpg

Yes, but it looks like a Territorial variety as the lapel badges and shoulder titles differ from what would be considered "standard issue".

Roop

Is it possible it's a fusilier uniform? The shoulder titles might have a grenade between two letters, and those might be fusilier grenades on the collar, rather than an RA-type badge.

Odd to see collar dogs on an o.r., anyway.

Sorry to muddy the waters.

The key here ,is the putees.

Wound downwards & tied at the bottom, in the Artillery, as they are here, rather than wound upwards & tied at the top, for the Infantry.

Not really sure why this was so, though. Anyone??

Possibly also the same for RE's(as this man could then be) & maybe some others as well. ASC, etc.

Mounted Regiments style? Something to do with the wearing of spurs?

Good conduct stripe on left sleeve & possibly 2 years overseas service stripes on right sleeve here also.

Cheers !

Steve

Glad you mentioned Fusiliers Broomers, I did notice the collar dogs and the shoulder titles which didn't make me overly confident in saying Artillery but then the lanyard added to the confusion. Any chance of a zoom on the shoulder titles.

Rob

Hello,

The white lanyard indicates a gunner. I seem to remember a claim that they were worn as a spare in case the lanyard on the firing lever failed.

Old Tom

A Fusilier it is. :closedeyes:

I think that's an "N", so Northumberland Fusiliers.

Hello,

The white lanyard indicates a gunner. I seem to remember a claim that they were worn as a spare in case the lanyard on the firing lever failed.

Old Tom

Tom, I am not so sure that is the case. The lanyard usually indicates involvement with the transport section of a unit. I think it had a clasp knife on the end of it, with the usual blades for removing stones from boyscouts' hooves or some such!

(Added to his breeches) I also think that the puttee winding reflected mounted duties too, so possibly a driver with the transport section of his fusiliers batalion.

Ian

PS - maybe other pals would comment on his chevrons - good conduct/long service? He has stripes on both forearms of his jacket.

Shall I colour him? Yeh, go on - nothing better to do right now! Ian

It's a really nice picture: I don't think I've seen the old fuslier grenade from the plain 'NF' shoulder title with separate grenade used as a collar dog before. I wonder how common this was?

The shoulder title should confirm it as a Fusilier soldier. Lanyards were worn by lots of mounted soldiers for knives etc as has been mentioned. The puttees would indicate he had a mounted job in the Bn.

Alan

The key here ,is the putees.

Wound downwards & tied at the bottom, in the Artillery, as they are here, rather than wound upwards & tied at the top, for the Infantry.

Not really sure why this was so, though. Anyone??

Possibly also the same for RE's(as this man could then be) & maybe some others as well. ASC, etc.

Mounted Regiments style? Something to do with the wearing of spurs?

Good conduct stripe on left sleeve & possibly 2 years overseas service stripes on right sleeve here also.

Cheers !

Steve

Steve,

The reason I believe is that while sitting astride a horse, if puttees are wound from the bottom and tied off at the top they would unravel with the movement of the horse as the rider grips the horse with his legs.

So therefore they were tied off at the bottom to avoid this and was SOP for all mounted troops.

Regards,

C.T.

C.T. ,

thanks for that info. All is now explained ! :)

I remember my Grandfather, a WW1 NZ Artilleryman, saying that they always wore their Puttees wound downwards instead of up,as the Infantry did. Had assumed,origionally this was peculiar to them, but have adjusted that idea now ,

to cover mounted personal, generally, as we see here.

Cheers !

Steve