The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RE Formation help please

mmm45

Hello Ady,

Is the "G" Significant? Possibly Gallipoli. Are you looking at an individual or a unit ? I think the Northern Telegraph Companies based in Leeds provided the backbone of the GHQ Signal Company in Gallipoli.

Regards

Ron

Hi Ron

I have a 1918 casualty have now checked CWGC and it states "G" Corps HQ Sig Coy RE WHEREAS SDGW Gives "G" GHQ Sigs Coy i realise theres a Big difference between Corps and General as in Army.

Have never come across "G" Corps before.

Cheers

Ady

Archie Ferguson 76795 Sapper RE Died 24/10/18

Enlisted Glasgow.

MIC shows entitled to pair post 16 conscript more than likely.

Ady

Hello Ady,

I'll get back to you tomorrow, I'm off out singing now. Someone on this forum does look ups for Glasgow casualties (Possibly Glasgow ROH or Newspaper, try a search !)

Regards

Ron

Hello Ady

'G' Corps HQ Signal Company served VII Corps. This was a not-very-subtle way of encoding the name so as not to identify its formation. Corps Supply Columns (and later MT Columns) and Siege Parks used the same system. Other corps troops did not use the corps number anyway.

The signal company attached to GHQ was simply GHQ Signal Company, although there was one for each theatre.

Ron

(NB not Iron Duke!)

Ady

His number suggests he joined before 1916. The fact that he is entitled to a pair only indicates that entered a theatre of war after 1915.

TR