Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Navy Armoured Cars in Russia 1914-18

bill46

Hi,

My Grandfather was in the navy during the 1st ww and served in Russia with 2 squadron ARMOURED CARS.

I know he arrived by sea to Archangel and then by rail to Odessa, from there he travelled to the Ukrainian interior and was involved in fighting near Husiatyn and was awarded 4th George Cross (Russian Decoration) for action under heavy fire near Husiatyn 17th July 1917.

Can anyone shed any light on operations that his squadron may have been involved in or any information regarding these units.

thanks

Bill

Saddest thing of all is that there was an excellent website put up by a chap whose father had served in RNAS Armoured Cars in Russia (www.rnasinrussia.com) with narratives, photographs, the lot. But since I last looked, it has disappeared. The standard work on the subject is "The Czar's British Squadron" by Bryan Perrett, long out of print, but about.

The IWM have a reading list - No.36 - which addresses RNAS armoured cars in the round.

And do a Google on "Locker Lampson". (Commander Oliver Locker-Lampson) Also have a look for Dunsterforce.

This link givers an outline on the RNAS Armoured Cars.

http://www.geocities.com/pentagon/base/154...rmouredCars.htm

Hello bill46, Perhaps you could let us know the full name of your grandfather, and whether he served in No.2 Squadron as a driver, gunner or mechanic. Such information would be very helpful. Thank you. Best regards, agblume

Hi Bill,

There is another site available, it is seen from an ulster perspective but gives a good layout of their adventures in Russia:

RNACD in Russia

Your grandfather served in No2 Squadron which was commanded by Lieut-Commander Wells-Hood under the overall command of Commander Locker-Lampson. The unit had already seen action in Turkey(on the Mush Plain) and in Rumania( by Galatz) by the time your grandfather reached it if your chronology is right. In Galicia(husiatyn) a wide range of allied units were used to shore up the rapidly crumbling russian army including the RNACD where they conducted a number of vicious rearguard actions as the russian army fell apart until it was decided to pull the RNACD out of Russia altogether in Sep 1917.

Ian

Being an Austin car Fan , a few years back I attended the 100 year anniversary of the marque at Longbridge. There was every kind of Austin you could think of (almost) from aircraft to tractors and stationary engines. I heard that there is a sole surviving Austin armoured car in Russia unfortunately the organisers were unable to obtain a temporary export permit . does anybody know more or have any photos of it please ? "MO"

The BBC Northern Ireland Web Site "Your place or mine" had a number of articles on the ACs in Russia - a significant number of the crews being Ulstermen. If its still up they may still be accessable.

Hi,

My Grandfather was in the navy during the 1st ww and served in Russia with 2 squadron ARMOURED CARS.

I know he arrived by sea to Archangel and then by rail to Odessa, from there he travelled to the Ukrainian interior and was involved in fighting near Husiatyn and was awarded 4th George Cross (Russian Decoration) for action under heavy fire near Husiatyn 17th July 1917.

Can anyone shed any light on operations that his squadron may have been involved in or any information regarding these units.

thanks

Bill

Hi Bill

Your Place or Mine - BBC

scroll down to:- [click on the word listing]

However, in the interests of the Irish involvement which was only briefly addressed in the aforementioned book, I have compiled a listing of the Officers and Ratings of Irish extraction who served with the RACD, together with the decorations awarded to them in the 2 year campaign.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/yourp...war/rnacd.shtml

Paul

Here is a discussion forum exclusive to the Eastern Front with several knowledgeable members. Borden Battery

Warchron - Great War on the Eastern Front

The Warchron discussion forum is dedicated to the Eastern Front during the Great War. The subject of Warchron is Russian military (land-sea-air), political-social history. In August 2006 Warchron began reorganizing the Forum Topics to include all aspects of the period 1918-1922 including the Russian Civil War, Wars of National Independence, Polish-Soviet War and the Allied Intervention. An emphasis will now be placed on aviation of all belligerents. As of Sept 2006 there are 72 members and about 835 postings. [An August Blume – Larry Seawell website][CEF Study Group – Dec 2006 – Updated]

http://www.warchron.com/forum/

Hello all,

Thanks to you all for replying to my post.

My grandfathers name was Timothy George Taylor. (P.0. T G Taylor 434........2 squadron).

regards,

Bill.

• 2 years later...