Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

West Yorkshire Regiment

nhclark

Can anyone help with the West Yorkshire Regiment please?

Edmund James Watsham was Private 1531, later 200213.

Is it possible to glean anything at all from these numbers about when he enlisted, his service, etc?

He was born in July 1898. His service papers have not survived at TNA, but he was awarded the BWM and VM.

Much later, in 1947, the London Gazette reported that he had relinquished his commission as 2nd Lieutenant (351464) with the York (North Riding) Command, Territorial Army Reserve of Officers (Service with Army Cadet Corps).

But that's all I know about him from an army perspective.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Noel

Hello Noel,

I can't add much of substance, but the numbers 200001 - 240000 were allocated to the 5th West Yorks, originally the York based territorials.

I know about a man with the number 1458, he enlisted in 1913, but that gives not much of a clue for your man.

I'll keep looking out for anything that might help.

All the best,

Nigel

Thanks Nigel. One thing I just noticed is that in the "Remarks" column of his MIC is the notation "BM.3814/44" This is the only thing written in this column. Does it have any meaning to you?

Noel

Hi Noel.

As Nigel has correctly stated, his re-numbering certainly 'falls' in the 1/5th West Yorkshire Regiment.

Your best bet on the 'number crunching' aspect, where i fail completely, is to contact Kevin on the Forum.

Just for my own interest Noel, is your chap a Harrogate man?

Regards,

Chris.

Chris, thanks for your message. Unfortunately, this is a branch of my (mother's) wider family with whom I have no contact, although I know that it is extant. The surname, which comes from a single root in Essex, is very uncommon, and the Yorkshire telephone directories may reveal perhaps a total of five.

Edmund James Watsham, West Yorkshire Regiment, was born in Colchester into a military family, and from his father's service record (Edmund senior, clerk, Army Service Corps) I know that the family was in Lichfield (Staffordshire?) from 1907, and there is no mention of any other location until his discharge in 1919. However, Edmund's youngest brother was born in the York Registration District in 1921. Edmund senior died in the York Registration District, Edmund James was married in the Pontefract RD, two children born in York RD, and Edmund James died in Howden RD.

All that is a long-winded way of saying that although the family has a connection to Yorkshire I don't see any real connection to Harrogate.

Noel

Noel

Hello, i am no expert on the West Yorks numbers and i have done very little with the TF numbers.

But i will have ago anyway. I would say your man signed up late 1914, but as he was underage did not go to France till after July 1916 when he bacame an 18yr old, no 1914-1915 star the 1/5th where in France from May 1915,we also know he was in France in May 1917 when the renumbering took place, i am aware that the numbers where issused out in order, so that says there was 212 men in the 1/5th Batt with a number less than 1531.

Hope itis of some help.

Regards Kevin

Hi.

I think Kevin has about covered that Noel.

As regards Harrogate, i can tell you the Library there has a wealth of info on the battalion, a real 'Gold Mine', photos etc., every researchers dream come true. It was just a thought.

Kindest regards,

Chris.

Hi Dave.

Wealth of info and very helpful. When are we going to write the book then LOL!

I guess we are both too busy on our own individual topics, but we have the information for a later date.

Kindest regards to you and 'Puss'.

Chris.