Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GRENADIER GUARD OR SAPPER?

rlndhorne

Does anyone have any information on the Grenadier Guards during or just before/after WW1? I'm looking for information

relating to Casper Prakel 12140. His MIC only makes mention of his service in the Royal Engineers. No mention whatsoever

of being in the Guards. I believe, from memory, that his MIC has the spelling of Casper Prackel not Prakel. This in itself

wasn't unusual in the early years of the 20th century, as his father had first come to Britain around about 1870 (from

Germany...) and it appears that they had not decided on the final spelling of the name as it would be in this country.

However, there is a G.G. 'Duty' plaque which shows his name as being C.Prakel.

Rolande,

The Grenadier Guards has a copy of the service summary of individual guardsmen. If you write to:

Regimental Headquarters,

Grenadier Guards,

Wellington Barracks,

Birdcage Walk,

London SW1E 6HQ,

UNITED KINGDOM.

quoting your man's name and GG number they will send you a copy of his records. There is no charge for this service, but they welcome a small donation to their "charity fund."

Noel

A relative of mine, ,details below was a pre war regular in the Grenadier Guards. He was later (1918) transfered to the RE due to wounds.

I would recommend following the above advice. I did however find that my man's records had been released by the Guards on his transfer and were therefore held (if still existing) at the National Archives.

Hope this helps.

Ali

A relative of mine, ,details below was a pre war regular in the Grenadier Guards. He was later (1918) transfered to the RE due to wounds.

I would recommend following the above advice. I did however find that my man's records had been released by the Guards on his transfer and were therefore held (if still existing) at the National Archives.

Hope this helps.

Ali

Hi,

Thanks, some useful suggestions there.