Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Watering Hole

paul swann

Can anyone supply some information about the Post Office bar in Ypre which apparently sells around a 150 different beers!

Best bottled regards

Paul

G'Day Paul. Yep the bar is on the 'Rijselsestraat', on the street going towards the Lille gate. The street starts directly across from the main enterance to the cloth hall, across the square. If you stay on the left of the street as you head down, after a couple of minutes there's a beer shop. Just to its left, is a narrow passage. Go down there and there is the bar. It's underground and the patron (last time I was there) was a Polish ex-Spitfire fighter pilot! There are indeed many, many beers on tap and many more bottled. And each comes with its unique glass. And if you flatter him enough he may give you a couple as souvenirs. Great bar. But be a little careful; some of the beers kick in at 15% alcohol and the stairs are less negotiable after sampling a few! And across the road is a bar called 'the 12 Apostles' run by a very nice guy. He's got a very commendable range of beers which you can enjoy among lots of Catholic 'Kitch'. Again, great place. Have one for me. (Oh and by the way, the actual real Post Office is across the road). And anyone from Ieper, correct me if I'm wrong.

Stu

Hi Paul and Stu

Spot on directions on how to get there but how do you remember the way back to your digs?

A couple of years since I was last in Ter Posterie, sadly did not have time to visit in August. :(

It is a Beer Drinkers Heaven, the tables have a ring binder file which lists the beers they have.

The Owners are lovely and the food was good.

One of my favourite places in the world Doh! that means I wont get a seat next time!

Have a Watou Wheatbeer for me

Enjoy

Excellent place to drink as previously mentioned with a massive selection of beer.

They even have St Sixtus on the menu but I think it is for show only as you are not supposed to sell any of it on

Liam

One of my favourite places in the world

Amen to that! It also happens to be the only pub in Ieper to have managed to get in the "Good Beer Guide" to Belgium , Holland and Luxembourg in all of it's re-printings.

Dave

They even have St Sixtus on the menu but I think it is for show only as you are not supposed to sell any of it on

That ruling changed quite a while back ,Liam ,and now only exists in myth form. They even have labels on their bottles now and it's also available in certain outlets in the UK these days!

Dave

Thank you for the wealth of information.

All I need to do now is find a length of string to tie around my ankle long enougth to reach between the Old Tom & the bar next week.

Cheers

Paul.

I've got bad news for you boys, if this is the same bar my missus & I visited a month ago, the patron said he was closing down due to "Family Reasons"

There are indeed many, many beers on tap and many more bottled. And each comes with its unique glass.

There are regulations (by laws) in most parts of Belgium that each type of beer has to be served in its own particular glass.

T'posterie bar has been closed and has been sold and is in the process of being knocked down i am afraid to say.

And you are not allowed to sell st.sixtus or as it is know west vleteren in any retail outlet apart from the shop at the abbey and in their cafe just down the road from the abbey.

And you are not allowed to sell st.sixtus or as it is know west vleteren in any retail outlet apart from the shop at the abbey and in their cafe just down the road from the abbey.

Sorry, yes you are correct. It's the St Bernadus St.Sixtus beer (the monastry offshoot brewery that uses different ingredients) that is available worldwide.

Dave