Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Manchester Regiment

jainvince

Having looked at the pictures on the post, I've noticed that some of the detail has been lost. enclosed is an enlargement of part of the photo.

Bernard P

post-23884-1224287868.jpg

• 2 years later...

Transcribing an October 1915 Magazine, I came across this snippet of information included in a letter from a soldier in training

"When at a certain station he came across, in a passing train, some wounded soldiers from the Dardanelles. "To my surprise, they were nearly all men who were at the lake twelve months ago ......."

The lake being Hollingworth Lake and the soldiers must have been from the Manchester Regiment.

Bernard

• 6 months later...

Makes you wonder how many of the smiling faces returned and again visited the Weavers Seaport of Hollingworth Lake.

Bernard

post-23884-0-99737600-1332960802.jpg

• 2 months later...

Another photo has turned up. I wonder how many of the smiling (or not) faces actually returned uninjured from the front to return to civvy street. Not many I would suspect.

Bernard

post-23884-0-06818700-1338741694_thumb.j

Bernard

I can see the piccie says it's of a transport section, but I can't make out battalion. Any clearer on the original?

John

John

It says 8th batt Transport Section on the back of the postcard. If you can advise me where to look I can enlarge the original to check it out.

Bernard

8th certainly makes sense for Hollingworth. It's just that it seemed to me that there were two digits between the "Manchester" and the "Batt Transport" but it must just be the grass or something.

J

• 2 years later...

Rochdale MBC's list of WW1 commemorations includes "Hollingworth Lake - re-enactment of the encampment prior to Gallipoli. I also understand that the visitor centre is involved in some display associated with the encampment. I will post anything I find out but others may know more.

Bernard

• 2 months later...

More pictures of the Manchester Regiment encampment keep turning up including the enclosed recently donated to the local history society. We have also found a poster in poor condition with other pictures. Will see if they can be posted as well.

Bernard

post-23884-0-87531400-1419356835_thumb.j

• 4 years later...