Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching Officers - A Practical Example....

Stebie9173

Another member of the Stebie fan club logging in.

Tell us more master.

A tip for Glasshopper Hesketh - Maketh sure you never cross the river....

Back to Podders....

Before we move away from the London Gazette, I hope to find Hubert Podmore's missing mentions in despatches.

Normally the best way to find MIDs is to download the MID medal cards!!! Not wanting to spend more of a fortune than I have already on this I have done some groundwork:

The New Gazette search allows us to search by Gazette Issue number. What we need to know is the Issue numbers of the that the MIDs appear in.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/AdvancedS...on&sb=issue

I have a partial list of Western Front MIDs (from mid-1915 there is an MID issue once every 6 months or so):

LG 20-10-1914, Gazette No. 28945 (MID list starts on page 9)

LG 17-2-1915, Gazette No. 29072

LG 22-6-1915, Gazette No. 29200

LG 1-1-1916, Gazette No. 29422

LG 15-6-1916, Gazette No. 29623

LG 4-1-1917, Gazette No. 29890

From this point on each list is split into 6 batches (Sorted by Corps/Regiment in Forces Precedence order)

LG 25-5-1917, Gazette Nos. 30072, 30077, 30083, 30093, 30101, and 30107.

LG 11-12-1917, Gazette Nos. 30421, 30427, 30434, 30441, 30445 and 30448.

LG 17-5-1918, Gazette Nos. 30691, 30693, 30698, 30701, 30704 and 30706.

LG 20-12-1918, Gazette Nos. 31077, 31080, 31083, 31085, 31088 and 31089.

LG 5-7-1919, Gazette Nos. 31435, 31437, 31439, 31442, 31446 and 31448.

To cut a long story short, a search through the relevant issues finds Hubert Podmore's 3 MIDS:

LG 15-6-1916. Podmore, Temp. Capt. H.

LG 4-1-1917. Podmore, Temp. Maj. H., D.S.O.

LG 25-5-1917. Podmore, Temp. Maj. H., D.S.O.

(All listed under Northamptonshire Regiment)

(I lie actually, since I've got an excel file with all the Northamptons ones on it :P !!!)

Steve.

I believe the phrase in use currently is "I'm lovin' it!"

This is gold Steve, pure gold.

Thanks

Nigel

I'll just update the WIP bio for Hubert Podmore and add a bit of context on the assumption that he was serving with the 6th Northamptons and add a few notes :

Hubert Podmore

Born in 1883 at Grange-over-Sands (Ulverston District, Lancashire).

Known as "Podders" (probably a school nickname) and Bertie (no doubt by his mother!)

Son of George Podmore and Mrs Matilda ("Mattie")Podmore (nee Heale, m.10-8-1882 at St James', Piccadilly), of Charney Hall, Grange-over-Sands, Lancs.

Brother to George Conrad (1883-), Eric (1886-1898), Enid Muriel (1889-, m.1921), Freda (1895-), and Edgar (1890-1901).

Scholar of Rugby - First Class scholarship, head of Collins House, member of the Cricket XXII and running VIII.

First holder of the Lees Knowles Leaving Exhibition at Rugby.

Entered Trinity College, Oxford - Open Classical Exhibition, December 1905. Gained a B.A., October 1910. "1st in Mods, 3rd in Greats."

A cadet at the Oxford University, Senior Division, Officers Training Corps.

Returned to Rugby as a master, probably between October 1910 and March 1911.

Second Lieutenant in the Rugby School Contingent, Junior Division, Officers Training Corps, from 31-3-1911. promoted Lieutenant, 13-7-1913.

Commissioned as a Temporary Second Lieutenant on 22nd September 1914, Gazetted 22nd September 1914.

An "Officer in the Northamptonshire Regiment", from September 1914

Belonged to a battalion under an "OR" (Old Rugbeian) {George Eustace Ripley, C.O. of the 6th Northamptons from a couple of days after its creation} *

Promoted to Temporary Lieutenant, c. October 1914.

Promoted to Temporary Captain of the 6th Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment on 22nd November 1914, Gazetted 7th December 1914.

Embarked to France in July 1915 as a Captain with the 6th Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment. *

Battalion occupies "quiet sector" at Fricourt/Carnoy near Albert on the Somme from August 1915 to May 1916.

Awarded the D.S.O. Gazetted, 31st May 1916 "For conspicuous gallantry and ability during a night attack by the enemy. It was largely due to Captain Podmore that his company held its own in spite of very heavy bombardment, and repelled every attack."

Mentioned in despatches as a temporary Captain of the Northamptonshire Regiment (operations between 19-12-1915 and 19-5-1916), Gazetted 15th June 1916.

Assault on Pommiers Redoubt (battalion in close support role), 1st July 1916.

Assault on Trones Wood (main assault battalion role), 14th July 1916.

Wounded at Trones Wood.

Temporary Major, Northamptonshire Regiment, Gazetted 11th October 1916, effective from 15th July 1916.

(Note that there is a 3 month gap between the Gazette date and the date that the promotion was effective from. This may denote either the filling of a "vacancy". Major G M Clark was KIA 14-7-1916, and Lt Col G E Ripley had been permanent crippled (and died a few days lafter the Gazette date), the 2nd-in-Command, Major S H Charrington, having assumed command after Lt Col Ripley was wounded on 26-9-1916). Alternatively, it may have been for service in the Field. Or a bit of both...

Assault on Thiepval (battalion in support role), 26th September 1916.

Mentioned in despatches as a temporary Major of the Northamptonshire Regiment (operations between 19-5-1915 and 18-11-1916), Gazetted 4th January 1917.

Battle of Boom Ravine (right assaulting battalion), 17th February 1917.

Engagement at Croissilles (battalion part of scouting spearhead probing the Hindenburg Line), 20th March 1917.

Attack on the Hindenburg Line at Cherisy (support battalion in a.m., primary role in second attack in p.m.), 3rd May 1917.

Mentioned in despatches as a temporary Major of the Northamptonshire Regiment (operations between 18-11-1916 and 31-5-1917), Gazetted 25th May 1917.

Battle at Glencourse Wood, 3rd Ypres, 10th August 1917.

Wounded in August 1917

Returned to France in December 1917

Acting Lieutenant Colonel, 12th Battalion, Middlesex Regiment.

Accidentally Killed by an explosion of ammunition on 31st December 1917.

Buried at HARINGHE (BANDAGHEM) MILITARY CEMETERY.

Grave reference : I. C. 7.

Remembered at a memorial service at St Paul's Church, Grange, on Thursday 10-1-1918.

Probably erroneous "facts":

Captain, Middlesex Regiment, per MIC.

First service overseas as a Captain with the Middlseex Regiment, per MIC.

Items marked * are strong assumptions at this point.

Next up is a trawl through the War Diary of the 6th Northamptons to locate any references to him.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Really enjoyed reading about your research on Podmore.

I was just wondering about books in the PRO Library, particularly the DSO book by General Sir O'Moore, I've used this book many times and I think there maybe photos in there. What would be good now is a photo of Podmore. Don't mind checking him out when I get to the PRO next week, you have just mentioned the 6th Northamptons war diary. Though to be honest it doesn't sound like you need anyones help!

Alie.

Alie, Hubert Podmore is all researched, as far as I "need" to go. I have most of the sources that will mention him (excepting O'Moore's DSO book). This is a walkthrough of the things that can be done whilst researching officers, mainly for others benefit - though I am finding out some snippets I didn't catch before!

He was one of my early researchees, so I am adding some info, from more recent sources.

Steve.

So, the War Diary of the 6th (Service) Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment.

The Index to the war diaries is in the NA Catalogue:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp

I search for :

Word or Phrase : 6 AND NORTHA* (due to the Northamptonshire / Northants variants)

Series : WO95

This gives us :

WO 95/2044 6 Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment 1915 July - 1919 Apr

A trip to the NA with Digital Camera later and we can trawl the diary.

As a Major, Hubert Podmore is obviously going to get a few more mentions than the average officer. The nature of this particular war diary is that it mentions officers quite regularly until early 1917 when all names seem to disappear.

There is a comparative abundance of references to Hubert Podmore scattered through the Diary.

April 1916

SECTOR A2 OF TRENCHES, 8th to 14th April 1916

The battalion marched to the trenches and relieved the 7th Bedfords. At 2am on the 13th the enemy opened a heavy bombardment on our centre company. Simultaneously, two small patrols attempted to raid the trenches held by our left company. They were quickly driven out, eight of them being killed. They carried off two of our men who were wounded. Captain H Podmore and 4 NCOs and men were recommended for decorations and eight others for parchment letters. Casualties: - 2/Lt Waite accidentally wounded, 10 killed, 34 wounded, 2 wounded and missing.

June 1916

22-6-1916

Battalion Orders for the first day of the Somme Offensive

Captain Hubert Podmre listed as O.C. of "D" Company.

July 1916

14-7-1916 - Assault on Trones Wood

5.10am

Captain Podmore reported that his company [“D” Coy] were advancing N.E. and bombing up trench running from S W corner of the wood, and that he was in touch with portions of B and C Coys on his right but not with A Coy. He also reported that he was held up by Strong Point B and that he urgently required more bombs. Major Clark killed, Captain Shepherd wounded, & only about 100 of his company left.

9.15am

Following message was received from Capt. Podmore (timed 9.00am)

“Have secured all TRONES WOOD, except small T head containing about 6 men by Strong Point on GUILLEMONT ROAD. Also about 40 Germans in trench outside wood just S. of same Strong Point – BUFFS are attacking with a stokes gun. We must have a Stokes gun if we are to take these two places. AM consolidating Eastern edge of TRONES WOOD.”

The above has since been confirmed in a letter from Capt. Podmore (wounded) in which he says: - “ I sent Lt. Redhead to work N. through the wood. He did so with great success, clearing the wood up the W. side up to the north point & then moving down again the E. side till he joined us by the Strong Point on the GUILLEMONT ROAD.

5.30pm

6th Northants were formed up in wood to the W. of the COPSE. After straggler had been collected the battalion only mustered as follows:-

Officers

A Coy 2nd Lt. Heriz-Smith

B Coy 2nd Lt Price (wounded in leg slightly)

C Coy 2nd Lt Walker

D Coy Capt. Podmore (slightly wounded, shrapnel in back)

Other ranks

A Coy 57

B Coy 69

C Coy 76

D Coy 45

Total 247

15th July 1916, MALTZ HORN TRENCH.

Hqrs at N. end of Hairpin.

Reinforcements began to arrive 2nd Lt. CHATHAM arrived on previous evening. Lt. BATTY early in the morning. Lt. & Adjt. BARKHAM arrived from SUNKEN ROAD. About 8am Capt. EVANS, Lt. ELDRIDGE & 2nd Lts. KEYS & GILLOT arrived. This allowed Capt. PODMORE & 2nd Lt. PRICE, both of whom had been wounded on previous day and refused to leave their companies, to be relieved. 2nd Lt. HIGHAM also arrived with 60 Other Ranks, but as the 7th BUFFS were still holding MALTZ HORN TRENCH, these were sent back to FAVIERRE TRENCH until required in front line.

October 1916

7th October 1916, BERNEUIL

Major PODMORE DSO rejoined battalion and was appointed acting 2nd in command.

November 1916

29th November 1916

Lt Col CHARRINGTON went on leave. Battalion on F Area company training.

War Diary signed off by:

"H Podmore, Major. Cdg. 6th Northamptonshire Regiment."

(No mention in the December diary of Lt Col Charrington returning to the battalion, but he does sign off the December Diary)

January 1917

7th January 1917

Note of his MID as a temp. Major.

April 1917

4th April 1917

Company training. Lecture to 1 Coy by Major Podmore on map reading.

6th April 1917

Narrative of the battale at Boom Ravine on 17th February 1917 signed off by Major H. Podmore.

Signs off April 1917 Diary as Major H Podmore, "Cmdg. 6th Northamptonshire Reg."

July 1917

C.O. on leave 3rd to 17th July 1917. (Major Podmore would have probably been in command again)

August 1917

Operations on the 10th August 1917 at Glencourse Wood give officer casualties as 1 killed, 6 wounded but mention no names. It is likely that Major Podmore was one of the wounded here, but we can't be sure at this stage.

Anyway, I'm more than pleased with the results from the War Diary.

Steve.

Update to "Bio". (With added Pic so that I don't send Alie scuttling around the NA in pursuit!)

Hubert Podmore

post-6536-1192881140.jpg

Born in 1883 at Grange-over-Sands (Ulverston District, Lancashire).

Known as "Podders" (probably a school nickname) and Bertie (no doubt by his mother!)

Son of George Podmore and Mrs Matilda ("Mattie")Podmore (nee Heale, m.10-8-1882 at St James', Piccadilly), of Charney Hall, Grange-over-Sands, Lancs.

Brother to George Conrad (1883-), Eric (1886-1898), Enid Muriel (1889-, m.1921), Freda (1895-), and Edgar (1890-1901).

Scholar of Rugby - First Class scholarship, head of Collins House, member of the Cricket XXII and running VIII.

First holder of the Lees Knowles Leaving Exhibition at Rugby.

Entered Trinity College, Oxford - Open Classical Exhibition, December 1905. Gained a B.A., October 1910. "1st in Mods, 3rd in Greats."

A cadet at the Oxford University, Senior Division, Officers Training Corps.

Returned to Rugby as a master, probably between October 1910 and March 1911.

Second Lieutenant in the Rugby School Contingent, Junior Division, Officers Training Corps, from 31-3-1911. promoted Lieutenant, 13-7-1913.

Commissioned as a Temporary Second Lieutenant on 22nd September 1914, Gazetted 22nd September 1914.

An "Officer in the Northamptonshire Regiment", from September 1914

Belonged to a battalion under an "OR" (Old Rugbeian) {George Eustace Ripley, C.O. of the 6th Northamptons from a couple of days after its creation} *

Promoted to Temporary Lieutenant, c. October 1914.

Promoted to Temporary Captain of the 6th Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment on 22nd November 1914, Gazetted 7th December 1914.

Embarked to France in July 1915 as a Captain with the 6th Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment. *

Battalion occupies "quiet sector" at Fricourt/Carnoy near Albert on the Somme from August 1915 to May 1916.

Awarded the D.S.O. Gazetted, 31st May 1916 "For conspicuous gallantry and ability during a night attack by the enemy. It was largely due to Captain Podmore that his company held its own in spite of very heavy bombardment, and repelled every attack." D.S.O. awarded for actions on the night of the 13th/14th April 1916 when commanding the "center company" during the repulse of a German raid.

Mentioned in despatches as a temporary Captain of the Northamptonshire Regiment (operations between 19-12-1915 and 19-5-1916), Gazetted 15th June 1916.

Assault on Pommiers Redoubt (battalion in close support role), 1st July 1916. Commanding "D" Company.

Assault on Trones Wood (main assault battalion role), 14th July 1916. Led "D" Company north-east through Trones Wood. Wounded in the back by shrapnel early in the battle but remained at duty. Evacuated from the battlefield on 15th July 1916.

Temporary Major, Northamptonshire Regiment, Gazetted 11th October 1916, effective from 15th July 1916.

(Note that there is a 3 month gap between the Gazette date and the date that the promotion was effective from. This may denote either the filling of a "vacancy". Major G M Clark was KIA 14-7-1916, and Lt Col G E Ripley had been permanent crippled (and died a few days lafter the Gazette date), the 2nd-in-Command, Major S H Charrington, having assumed command after Lt Col Ripley was wounded on 26-9-1916). Alternatively, it may have been for service in the Field. Or a bit of both...

Assault on Thiepval (battalion in support role), 26th September 1916. (Hubert Podmore was not present at this battle)

Rejoined 6th Northamptons on 7th October 1916 and was appointed 2nd-in-command (Lt Col S H Charrington in command)

Assumed temporary Command of 6th Northamptons from 29th November 1916 to early December 1916.

Mentioned in despatches as a temporary Major of the Northamptonshire Regiment (operations between 19-5-1915 and 18-11-1916), Gazetted 4th January 1917.

Battle of Boom Ravine (right assaulting battalion), 17th February 1917. (The new C.O. Lt Col Meyricke attached from 11th Fusiliers was killed during the attack. Since C.O.s and 2nd-in-Commands were rarely permitted on the field of battle at the same time, it is likely that Major Podmore sat this one out).

Engagement at Croissilles (battalion part of scouting spearhead probing the Hindenburg Line), 20th March 1917.

In temporary command of battalion for a short period April-May 1917 whilst Lt Col Reginald Turner absent.

Attack on the Hindenburg Line at Cherisy (support battalion in a.m., primary role in second attack in p.m.), 3rd May 1917.

Mentioned in despatches as a temporary Major of the Northamptonshire Regiment (operations between 18-11-1916 and 31-5-1917), Gazetted 25th May 1917.

Probably in temporary command of 6th Northamptons whilst C.O. on leave, 3rd to 17th July 1917.

Battle at Glencourse Wood, 3rd Ypres, 10th August 1917.

Wounded in August 1917

Returned to France in December 1917

Acting Lieutenant Colonel, 12th Battalion, Middlesex Regiment.

Accidentally Killed by an explosion of ammunition on 31st December 1917.

Buried at HARINGHE (BANDAGHEM) MILITARY CEMETERY.

Grave reference : I. C. 7.

Remembered at a memorial service at St Paul's Church, Grange, on Thursday 10-1-1918.

Probably erroneous "facts":

Captain, Middlesex Regiment, per MIC.

First service overseas as a Captain with the Middlesex Regiment, per MIC.

Items marked * are strong assumptions at this point.

Steve.

Anyone still listening out there? If so, I shall move on to his Officers File.

Steve.

Steve

As they say - Top draw son, Take a bow

Glyn

Onto Officers Files then.

First stage is to find one, SHOULD ONE EXIST.

In general Officers files are still about but I am find a significant monority (5 - 10%?) that I can't find, even for officers that were killed in the war.

As with ORs, continuing service after 1922 will mean no record (though it seems the Reserve of Officers doesn't count!)

Again, these are stored at the NA, so a trip with a Digi-camera or lots of pennies for the photocopiers is required.

These can be found via the Catalogue:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp

The first obstacle is the Serach Engine, or more precisely the Indexing.

There are two main series - WO339 and WO374. A third series of records in PIN26 may contain some as well, but I have not waded into that ocean yet...

In general, Regular Officers are in WO339 and Territorials are in WO374 (but don't ignore the other just because of that).

Also in general, names and initials are quite well recorded, but there are some errors. These are mainly errors with initials, but a few surnames are mispelt - e.g. Woulfe indexed as Wolfe.

Like all search engines the moral is KISS : Keep It Simple (all Search Engines are) Stupid

For Hubert Podmore I ignore ranks and dates and everything.

I enter:

H AND podmore in the Word or phrase box

and

WO in the Series box

This gives me:

WO 339/20326 PODMORE H, Major 1914-1922

Again the rare name cuts down the options.

Note that the dates given are 1914 to 1922.

1914 should be the date of the first entries in the file (usually enlistment, but for T.F. officers this may be the date of Embodiment)

1922 will be the date of the last correspondence in the file.

I take all these dates with a pinch of salt!

Some of the later files are dated only [1914-1922] (only a coincidence on dates with the above) which denotes a generic WW1 file that may have ANY dates in it. Also most of these [1914-1922] files are indexed with only the first initial. Just because these files don't have the full set of initials for a man, don't ignore them!

The Officers files are in several sections. Generally you will have some or all of:

- Enlistment papers.

- Casualty forms (usually incomplete)

- Medical Board forms relating to wounds and illness

- Drafts of Gazette notices.

- Correspondence relating to death (anything from just a death certificate to a full description of events)

- Correspondence relating to Effects, Probate and Death duties.

- Lists of correspondence which can be quite useful in themselves)

I'll try and talk through these sections after tea!

Steve.

Steve,

Have followed this with interest - good stuff, and hopefully will make 'Classic Threads' and so be kept easily accesible.

Alan

Hubert Podmore's enlistment section consists of a 4 page document of which I have copied three pages, the fourth (back sheet) being generic instructions.

Podmore_Enlistment1.jpg

The first page needs very little explanation, and it gives us some more good information.

- Date of birth : 21st November 1887, tying in with the Birth Registration in Q4 of 1887.

- Unmarried.

- Address : 9 Horton Cescent, Rugby.

- Current address : Bear Hill, Twyford, Berks.

- It also confirms that he was an officer in the Rugby O.T.C. at the time of enlistment. (This box often has a precis of an officers previous military career - in ver small writing!)

- He can't ride.

The enlistment is on one of three types of attestations I have seen. There are different ones for.

- General enlistment (Non OTC) (Blue. This one is blue, honest!)

- Enlistment from an OTC (Pink)

- Commission from the ranks (Buff)

Steve.

Page 2

Podmore_Enlistment2.jpg

He preferred enlsitment into the Infantry, and specifically the Warwickshires. Quite often this can have two or three Regiments listed. (I have seen one that says "anything but a Scottish Regiment!" :o

This section of the document should be properly dated but only has the August 1914 date in it.

Below that is his recommendation from a responsible person, in this case A A David, the headmaster of Rugby School who had known Hubert for 4 years (presumably counting from his return to Rugby School as a Master)

Podmore_Enlistment3.jpg

The application for a commission was signed by the commander of the Depot of the 4th Royal Berkshire Regiment at Reading on 20th August 1914, thus completing his attestation.

Steve.

This is Hubert Podmore's Casualty Form.

CasForm1.jpg

Ideally, it would lay out his embarkation overseas, postings, promotions, leave, awards, etc.

This one, er, doesn't. I have found this is hardly uncommon. There are a few officers I've found where there is a good trail through his war, but the majority are not any better than this, if they are there at all. Most of these officers files are based around correspodence. Most of this sort of information lies outside that remit.

We do get confirmation of his DSO and 1 x MID. In the top corner is his embrkation date. It does say 1915 under the fold, but the month is obscured. The date is therefore 26.??.1915 which would tie in with the 6th Northamptons mass embarkation to France if it read 26.7.1915.

Best to move on....

Steve.

The next references in his file are to his wounding at Trones Wood on 14-7-1916.

Except he did a bit of a "Samuel Clements".

1916Wounding1.jpg

He was reported as dead by 14676 Private Edward Ingram, of 8 platoon, B Company, 6th Northamptonshire Regiment, of 56 Charles Street, Kettering.

A bit of a false alarm, but at least we know Private Ingram was in battle at Trones Wood!

Steve.

Adding a bit more. The two attached pages are summaries of communications from the War Office regarding Medical Boards and leave in consequence of Captain podmore's wounding at Trones Wood.

3Correspondencesheet.jpg

5Correspondencesheet2.jpg

A quick run through what all this is saying:

Page 1.

Embarked 18-7-1916 (This is his embarkation back to England)

1. Medical Board, 21/7/1916. Unfit for 3 weeks for any type of Service.

2. Leave granted from 18/7/1916 to 11/8/1916. Inform the O.C. of 8th (Reserve) Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment. Further medical board ordered for 11/8/1916.

3. Medical Board, 11/8/1916. Unfit for General Service for 1 month. Fit for home service. Inform O.C. of 8th Battalion of further medical board for 11-9-1916.

4. Send medical docs to Eastern Command. Joined 8th battalion on 13-8-1916.

Page 2.

Passed fit for General Service at the Medical Board on 11-9-1916.

1. Wire to 28th Training Reserve Battalion. Reply received stating Captain Podmore is attached to a Home Sevice Garrison battalion.

2. Any objections to sending Captain Podmore back to the front? (communication dated 25/9/1916)

3. No objections. A note that Captain Podmore will soon be Gazetted as major effective from 15/7/1916. (communication dated 27/9/1916)

The third general document relating to Hubert Podmore treatment in the Uk is his orders for returning to the Front, dated 28/9/1916. To proceed to Folkstone after 48 hours leave.

4Rejoinunitorders.jpg

(Next up a look at the Medical Board Reports.)

Steve.