Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

is CWGC website different on Thiepval computers ?

Sly

Hi,

often visiting Thiepval center, I had a strange experience on the CWGC "public" computers:

Searching in the records my name ( I am French), the result was that one appeared to be on the Mont Fleuri memorial (he was English, in the Seychelles Carrier Corps), died on the 12/03/1917. 4 others appeared with nationality "French" and buried in different CWGC cemeteries.

Back home, I did the same research on the CWGC website, but only one appeared (the English from the Seychelles Carrier Corps) and the 4 other Frenches had disappeared ?

Why these differents results ?

I thought that the computers in Thiepval Center were connected to the CWGC website ?

Any idea ?

Thanks,

Sly

Yes, it is different.

The web site is fed from the 'live' system. The database used at Thiepval is from a disk copy taken on one specific day and so is not updated.

When the disk was copied from the live database, they obviously copied the Foreign National War Graves in CWGC Care as well. These are no longer available on the website for various administrative reasons and they may disappear from Thiepval when their disk is renewed.

Is it/ will it be possible to buy a database of these foreign graves?

Even a listing rather than a CD would be very useful.

Interesting for a lot of people, I would have thought - me included.