Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leipzig Redoubt

KIRKY

Alright, I confess, I have no idea which German unit re-took the redoubt in 1918.

My 'library' is undeserving of the name.

Liddell-Hart doesn't want to tell me and Macdonald is reticent.

Simon, It is actually 1914 that I was referring to. The German Army hit this area in September 1914. The Granatloch/Leipzig Redoubt was just a small quarry with a few crude trenches The redoubt area was abandoned on 29 September 1914 when the German forces took up positions further to the rear.

On 5 October the II and III/121st Reserve Regiment advanced from the direction of Ovillers and retook the hill and kept it until July 1916 during the Somme offensive.

Ralph

Speaking of retaking Leipzig. Which allied unit retook it in the summer of 1918? The only thing I remember about the retaking of Thiepval at that time was that tanks we're used. I think :blink:

Does anyone know which German units were defending the Leipzig redoubt when the HLI stormed in on 1/7/16?

More interesting trivia is that this was one of the few places where the attackers stormed a position on 1/7/16... The HLI left their trenches at 07:28 and crept to within 30 yards of the well cut wire. When the barrage ended, they stormed in but got cut to pieces when they tried to move on. Worse still, they had to watch their mates in the 15 bttn get cut to bits attacking positions on their flanks.

The Leipzig Redoubt/Granatloch was defended by the 3rd Coy, 99th Reserve Regiment. The 180th Infantry Regiment was on their left not far off during the attack on 1 July 1916.

Ralph

Thanks! You don't happen to know who was defending the Munich and Frankfurt trenches when the HLI attacked in November. Also whats a good source for German Somme info?

As far as I can tell the 23rd Infantry Regiment (I and III Battalions) were defending the area in question during the attack.

As to a good source of German information on the Somme.....Me.

I have a reasonably good collection of German accounts from the Somme and know of several others who can provide details where I have gaps. What kind of information were you looking at?

Ralph

Are there any personal accounts from German soldiers re: the effects of the barrage on Leipzig Redoubt to 1.7.16? I have a good diary from a signaller in a howitzer battery that was ranging on that area, anything from the 'other side'?

If you're interested: Eric Cowling, signaller D battery 245th Brigade RFA, positioned behind Authuille Wood (south of Black Horse Bridge) dug into bluffs, cookhouse in wood, was liason with infantry on 1.7.16, gets lost going up to line, sees 17th HLI go over, wishes them luck, goes over himself with telephone wires, shelters in German toilet, gets sniped at every time raises semaphore flag (wire cut), gets back late 'didn't feel afraid until it was over'.

Hello Simon,

There are not many German accounts surviving of the preparation bombardment that I am aware of. However, I put together an acount of the experiences and what few personal accounts exist in a short project some years back. I would be happy to e-mail it to you, just let me know where.

Ralph

I'd be interested in that. What would I reference it as? Is it a published article? Would you permit me to quote from it, not that I have any plans to publish anything directly on this, but I wouldn't presume to use anyones hard work without referencing it properly.

You can mail me through the forum (click on my name, then email etc).

In return, I can let you have a transcript of the diary entry for 1.7.16 - if it's of any use to you.

Simon,

It is not a published item, I wrote it up some years back while preparing another article and only used part of it for an article that eventually was published in Stand To!

You are more than welcome to use parts of it for other research. I cannot attach it to the e-mail on the forum but if you send me a message via e-mail I can get your home address and send it back.

I would like to see the transcript for the diary if possible. How can you get it to me? As a Word attachment? Or through the regular mail? Just let me know.

Ralph

To your e-mail with a word attachment (it's not massive) - this is an unpublished diary and subject to copyright controls through the aupices of Otley Museum as holders of title. I'd be quite happy to mail you the relevant section. I'll provide catalogue numbers so you can reference it properly.

n.b. this means me typing it out from the transcript and I'll include original spelling, punctuation etc. I'll also give you details of Eric Cowling (brigade etc).

Simon.

p.s. got your mail, have replied.

Ralph,

Many thanks for the info above. Is it okay to mail you with queries? I am trying to get more info on the German units defending the line against the HLI. This covers Leipzig redoubt and the Authville area on 1/7/16 and Frankfurt/Munich trenches on 18/11/16.

Let me know if email is okay and I'll send the specifics I am after. The only German account I have is Ernst Jungers.

Many Thanks,

Stewart.

Mcderms,

D battery 245th Brigade were artillery support for 17th HLI on their attack on Leipzig - Eric Cowling was signaller/telephonist with bty. Forward Observation Officer directing fire on targets selected by infantry during the attack. More details if required.

I think D245 and D246 were the two btys. referred to in various histories as being the two units helping the HLI in 'a rare example of artillery flexibility and co-operation' on the 1st, but could be wrong about this.

Ralph,

Many thanks for the info above. Is it okay to mail you with queries? I am trying to get more info on the German units defending the line against the HLI. This covers Leipzig redoubt and the Authville area on 1/7/16 and Frankfurt/Munich trenches on 18/11/16.

Let me know if email is okay and I'll send the specifics I am after. The only German account I have is Ernst Jungers.

Many Thanks,

Stewart.

Stewart, I will be happy to help out in any way I can, just let me know what you are looking for.

Regards,

Ralph

One ref. is Marix-Evans (2002) 'Over the Top: Great Battles of the First World War' who suggests that '2 howitzers' were detailed to 'consolidate the gains'.

Probably guns from D battery, I will have to go look at the war diary, check grid refs. etc (if there are any).