Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Finding a relative

Janer

Hi everyone,

This is my first time on here. I am keen to trace an uncle of my dads. He was Private James Rainey and he was in the Scottish Rifles. We think his date of death was 28.08.1918. I know it doesnt seem like much information but perhaps someone can help,

Thankyou in advance,

Jane

Is this him?

Name: RAINEY

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

Unit Text: 1st/8th Bn.

Date of Death: 29/07/1918

Service No: 290563

Additional information: Son of John and Hannah Rainey, of Aughnahoy, Portglenone, Co. Antrim.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: VI. A. 10.

Cemetery: RAPERIE BRITISH CEMETERY, VILLEMONTOIRE

Welcome, Jane.Have a look at the help on The Long Long Trail above. The other place to begin is the Commonwealth War Graves Commission data base which is online. Put in what details you have and see what comes up. It's an amazing hobby and the hairs stand up on your neck when you trace who you are looking for. Happy hunting, Elaine

Welcome to the Forum, Jane

Folk here will try to help but may I suggest that, if you havnt already done so, you follow the advice at the top of this page. It should answer most of your questions (or at least tell you how to get the answers)

John

Hi Jane,

This is the only James Rainey who served in the Scottish Rifles, recorded on the Soldiers Died in the Great War database:

Rainey2.jpg

It also matches Greyhound's CWGC listing.

This is his Medal Index Card:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

This costs £3.50 to download and can then be kept. For more info on the MIC, see this link:

http://www.1914-1918.net/mics.htm

Steve

Jane

If you download his MIC from here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...;resultcount=19

it will confirm date of entry and theatre of war which should be Gallipoli. Thereafter, he would have served in Palestine before being moved to the Western Front in 1918.

Regards

Mel

Hi everyone,

This is my first time on here. I am keen to trace an uncle of my dads. He was Private James Rainey and he was in the Scottish Rifles. We think his date of death was 28.08.1918. I know it doesnt seem like much information but perhaps someone can help,

Thankyou in advance,

Jane

Hi everyone,

Oh my goodness I cant believe the information you kind people have given me. I am going to ring my dad in Crewe and tell him. It was very emotional reading that and I will take all the advice given.

Thankyou so much,

Regards,

Jane