Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East York Regiment

Decol

My Grand father served with the E York Regiment (23401) and was awarded the British war medal. His MIC card does not list the Victory Medal although I have found the ribbon with his stuff. I cannot find whether he served abroad as there is no listings for theatre of war. I do not know his battalion. Any info would be welcomed

David

Are you sure it doesnt say ditto or the equivalent under the entry for the victory medal. Most of them do.

Neil

sorry cancel that reply, got it the wrong way round.

Neil

David,

His number suggests he was with the 1st Garrison Battalion which served in India, that would entitle him to the BWM.

Not Conclusive but hope it helps.

Regards Charles

David,

His number suggests he was with the 1st Garrison Battalion which served in India, that would entitle him to the BWM.

Not Conclusive but hope it helps.

Regards Charles

Thanks Charles.

Is there somewhere where I can determine from his number whether this can be confirmed Is there a list or something??

David,

Sad to say there is not a list, oh I wish there was? I have compiled a database that shows patterns of where men got posted and when they joined the regiment. Your grandfathers number and the fact he only recieved the BWM suggests the 1st Garrison Bn. Not 100% though, sorry.

Regards Charles