Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

worst kept grave I've seen

auchonvillerssomme

auchonvillerssomme

Is this the worst anyones seen. CWGC have been made aware.

Mick

This looks appalling but the whole cemetery looks in a terrible mess I do hope the appropriate authorities do something about the whole place - all the deceased buried here need greater respect than this - it would be better to let the place become a "natural wild space" than be left like this.

auchonvillerssomme

this is the incredible sinking stone.

Mick

auchonvillerssomme

Doncaster Hyde Park

MITCHELL, PATRICK CHARLES

Initials: P C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: South Irish Horse

Date of Death: 16/02/1915

Service No: 1268

Additional information: Son of Mary Teresa Mitchell, of 182, Rathgar Rd., Dublin, and the late Patrick Charles Mitchell. Born at Roscommon.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: OX. 319.

Cemetery: DONCASTER HYDE PARK CEMETERY

It looks so bad I wondered if it was actually a CWGC headstone, but it seems it is.

Ian

when i was taking pics of graves last year I was shocked by the state of some grave yards - one grave I was looking for was nearly completely covered in grass and weeds - Ill try and find the pic

auchonvillerssomme

the answer to the weeds round there appears to be just a liberal application of the weedkilling stuff they pour round the bases of road signs etc.

Mick

What a terrible shame. In my local cemetery there are a few crumbling wrecks that used to be gravestones and that is due to the uneven ground and the fact they are sinking. My local council have made huge efforts to stop this happening, which is admirable. Luckily enough, none of the CWGC graves seem to be affected. Get on to your local authority! Show em who's boss! Its worked for me in the past!

Lynz :(

Southampton Old Cemetry is the biggest joke I've seen, large bits of it of it looked like a nature reserve in places. Now there's an argument raging between the Cemetery enthusiasts and the conservationists who demand to be consulted before any ivy is cut away from headstone etc. in case there are rare berries or whatever on it or a particular insect. All of the CWGC graves looked conspicuous though as they were well looked after and all but sparkled compared to some plots in there.

Hartlepool North Cemetery is the pits of the earth.... 76 lads of the 1914-1918 war and 4 of the 1939-1945 war lie in here with no headstone. there names can be found on a screen wall in Hartlepool Stranton Cemetery about two miles away.

The plot of land where the lads now rest in Hartlepool North Cemetery is marked by nothing to say they are there. The area is covered in dog c**p. I have even seen kids playing football on the spot. The CWGC website says this about the screen wall two miles away in Stranton Cemerty. 'A Screen Wall bears 80 names of those buried in Hartlepool North Cemetery whose graves can no longer be maintained.'

I don't live at Hartlepool, but did report the situation to the local authorities..never heard a word back, and I have been told its still the same......an utter disgrace.

John.

Hartlepool North Cemetery is the pits of the earth.... The CWGC website says this about the screen wall two miles away in Stranton Cemerty. 'A Screen Wall bears 80 names of those buried in Hartlepool North Cemetery whose graves can no longer be maintained.'

But why can't they be maintained any longer?

I mean, it's not like Basra memorial, where it can understood that the objective situation makes maintenance impossible...

How is it possible that some cemeteries in Europe are left in that state?

Elena

have a look at this, the jewish cemetery at phillips park manchester.

the cwgc stone for lionel fleet is flat to the ground, I emailed the cwgc expecting to have it re-erected, but a chap telephoned me and told me they have had to cement it flat to the ground because it has been broken four times,

the rest of the jewish part of the cemetery looks like a bomb site, I cant get to the bottom to what has happened, I don't think they will admit it has been vandalised

how very sad

maggy

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l137/mar...lionelfleet.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l137/mar...hillipspark.jpg

It always seems heart-wrenchingly sad to me that there are some soldiers buried in the UK whose graves have had to be - abandoned, basically. The CWGC isn't to blame for this - often the place in which a soldier is buried is out of their control. So you have alternative commemorations on screen walls some diistance from the actual burials.

And with every year that passes, the exact location of the burials are known less and less precisely, until one day, they will be lost.

This is in our own country.

Now, if those soldiers had been buried in a foreign country, like, France, Belgium, Turkey.....................

CWGC certainly can't be held responsible in all cases. I was talking to one of the groundsmen at a cemetery in Liverpool, who was telling me that they have to combat teenagers who find it highly amusing to break in at night and push the headstones over. Many that have been damaged in this way are now just tied up with a danger warning on them. I believe he said one kid had even managed to kill/maim themselves (can't remember which) in doing this.

<_<

............i wonder, has the Irish Regiments association been contacted? Seeing that it is a South Irish Horse grave, then i would suggest that the association be contacted, or if not, contact the irish embassy. There is a strong association particularly in the South of Ireland for the disbanded irish regiments, and i'm sure that if it was made aware to them then it would be looked into!

tim

The United Kingdom poses the greatest challenge for CWGC with the least respect being shown for cemeteries by sectors of the population. The situation is far worse than in virually every overseas country where they work (temporary political hot-spots excepted).

There are over 12,000 cemeteries in the UK containing official war graves but only two belong to CWGC. The rest belong to an assorted array of church authorities, local councils, private companies, individuals etc. CWGC has no special rights in any of these - only moral weight.

The majority of cemetery owners have agreements with CWGC over regular maintenance of war graves and most fulfill their obligations to the letter. However, some do not and others face tremendous 'local' problems - be they human or financial. CWGC can only cajol and do their best in these circumstances.

There are many war graves in the UK that are now deemed unmaintainable - either because the cemetery owner has decided that the location should be allowed to become overgrown as a wild life sanctuary or it has been cleared of all headstones for 'safety' or to make a park. Other locations have been sold and built over and a few are unmaintainable because of genuine local problems - such as constant flooding.

Terry

Do not the CWGC support and encourage local "guardians", people (such as those on this forum) to look after/ keep a watchful eye on such as this? A little attention by a committed volunteer wouldn't sneered at surely ?

Owen Hales

kaisersoffensive

What a terrible shame. In my local cemetery there are a few crumbling wrecks that used to be gravestones and that is due to the uneven ground and the fact they are sinking. My local council have made huge efforts to stop this happening, which is admirable. Luckily enough, none of the CWGC graves seem to be affected. Get on to your local authority! Show em who's boss! Its worked for me in the past!

Lynz :(

Bravo Lynz

But then not many people would argue with you. :ph34r:

Owen

CWGC certainly does encourange and help enthusiastic and organised groups to assist in maintenance - schools, cadets, scouts, societies, 'Friends of' etc.

However, this has to be in agreement with CWGC and the cemetery owner and it usually applies to churchyards rather than local authority cemeteries. There are usually too many problems with the latter - policy issues, safety concerns etc etc. Plus the authority is often already receiving payment for their work!

I have to stress that the vast majority of authorities with whom CWGC has agreements perform perfectly satisfactorily. However, there are exceptions and some authorities prefer wildlife sanctuaries and parks to maintaining closed cemeteries!

The real problem is the attitude of a certain sector of the population who have no respect - for anything! But that's true in general. They have no respect for a gravestone, bus shelters etc etc.

What can be done is to ensure that all examples of bad maintenance in the UK are reported to CWGC UK Area Office. They can't be everywhere at all times and extra eyes are useful.

I must admit the isolated war graves I have found at Walsingham and Ludham at least have the headstones in a good and clean condition.

regards John

auchonvillerssomme

There are few cemeteries in this condition but it is about respect generally. Whether Military or Civilian, to remember our dead in this way is a disgrace. Those that know me will know that theres not to much in the physical world that bothers me, but being in that cemetery made me very aware that although it is close to the centre of town it really isn't somewhere you want to be.

Mick