Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant Cyril A. Lynch of the Royal Field Artillery 1914-18

bimjim

Lieutenant Cyril A. Lynch of the Royal Field Artillery

We found a medal card for Lieutenant Cyril A. Lynch of the Royal Field Artillery in the 1914-1920 World War (Catalogue reference: WO 372/12), but so far have been unable to confirm that this was our relative, born in Barbados, West Indies, with middle name Aubrey.

Is there some way of confirming this information at the source? I don't weant to waste my time with American information wholesalers with NO interest in details - like Ancestry - so if anyone can guide me to whoever would be able to add the 2 and 2 together and get 4 for us I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks much...

Jim Lynch

Initial communications through this form, please, to avoid the SPAM harvesters.

...snip...

Sorry, Jim, but that's not really how the Forum works. Answers that are kept private do not add value to us collectively. Responses will appear here so that pals can learn by it or add more. The answer in any case is that his service record will be held at the National Archives in Kew, London. He will also be listed on the online London Gazette but that is unlikely to confirm his place of birth or residence.

Mr Lynch

There are Officer service records at the National Archives for the following LYNCHes:

WO339/58447 LYNCH C

WO339/83492 LYNCH C

WO374/43378 Lt C LYNCH (personal papers)

There are no Lt C A LYNCH records indicated in my search. The content may be downloadable through the Digital Express service they offer,otherwise a visit to Kew has to be made to read the contents.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Sorry, Jim, but that's not really how the Forum works. Answers that are kept private do not add value to us collectively. Responses will appear here so that pals can learn by it or add more. The answer in any case is that his service record will be held at the National Archives in Kew, London. He will also be listed on the online London Gazette but that is unlikely to confirm his place of birth or residence.

I offer a free genealogy Index service - a bit like this - as the "Caribbean Surname Index" and the (less busy) "Canadian Surname Index", so I understand what you are saying... the more public the information there is, the more likely that someone else will find me looking for it. It's truly remarkable how subscribers to the Caribbean one have managed to make good connections there!!!

Anyway, I posted a similar query elsewhere, with the contact link, so I just pasted it across here - my apologies.

I picked up his UK marriage certificate from the National Archives, as well as his medal card, but did not know I could also get his service record on line. Thanks much for the info - I will enquire further along those lines.

Jim

Mr Lynch

There are Officer service records at the National Archives for the following LYNCHes:

WO339/58447 LYNCH C

WO339/83492 LYNCH C

WO374/43378 Lt C LYNCH (personal papers)

There are no Lt C A LYNCH records indicated in my search. The content may be downloadable through the Digital Express service they offer,otherwise a visit to Kew has to be made to read the contents.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Thanks very much... the references above may indeed help me, and I will use them to make my enquiries at the National Archives.

Much appreciated...

Jim

Here's that medal card I spoke of...

36891.gif

If someone could give me a "reading" of its contents - a full explanation of what it says to a military man - I'd really appreciate it. I can read older writing better than most, but I can't decide on some of the characters - such as in the Remarks section.

Thanks in advance...

Jim

The Lieutenant Cyril A. Lynch in the Medal Index Card above has the full name of Cyril Aubrey Lynch. He was commissioned in C Battery, 1st Northumberland Bde, RFA (TF) on 6 December 1915 and was promoted to Lieutenant, RFA (TF) on 1 July 1917. Regards. Gunner 1

The Lieutenant Cyril A. Lynch in the Medal Index Card above has the full name of Cyril Aubrey Lynch. He was commissioned in C Battery, 1st Northumberland Bde, RFA (TF) on 6 December 1915 and was promoted to Lieutenant, RFA (TF) on 1 July 1917. Regards. Gunner 1

Excellent! Obviously all that info is not in the Medal Index Card (especially the middle name), so I have to assume it is somewhere else... would you tell me where you found it, please?

Thanks much for your time and asistance...

Jim

All the information (his full name and promotion dates) are from the London Gazette. Usually when an officer is initially commissioned his full name is published in the Gazette at that time. The Gazette also lists all promotions. Regards. Dick Flory