Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zandvoorede Church

Jerrymurland

In Zandvoorde Church, near Zillebeke, there is a stained glass window dedicated to the memory of Lieutenant Turnor of the 10th Hussars. Killed during First Ypres. Does anyone have any knowledge of the origins of this window? Was it his family who paid for it or officers of the regiment? Any information gratefully received.

Jerry

Hi Jerry

There is quite a nice website if you google Zandvoorde Church. And this is part of what it says:

The family of one, Lietenant Christopher Turner, donated a stained glass window to the church after the war.

Regards

Nice one, I must have missed that, I knew the information was somewhere about! Do you know anything about the family?

Jerry

Hi

No, although I do have access to the census and could do a look up for you. Won't tell you anything about the family as such. Just how many members were listed on census night in 1901.

Looking at Find my Past for his death, I can find no Christopher listed who was in the 10th Hussars which is a bit strange. And no lieutenant. Privates and one listed as SPR (not sure what that stands for)

If you can let me know where he resided then I will take a look at the census.

regards

Neil

thanks for the note! You are absolutely right.

Here goes then:

Name: TURNOR, Christopher Randolph

Regiment, Corps etc.: Household Cavalry and Cavalry of the Line (incl. Yeomanry and Imperial Camel Corps)

Battalion etc.: 10th (Prince of Wales's Own Royal) Hussars

Last name: Turnor

First name(s): Christopher Randolph

Initials: C R

Decoration:

Date died: 26 October 1914

How died: Killed in action

Supplementary Notes:

Regards

Thanks. Yes a common mis-spelling of his name, its spelt incorrectly on the website as well. I had the feeling he was related to one of the aritocratic families although I cannot find any reference to him in Gliddings book on the Aristocracy.

Jerry

Lt Christopher Randolph Turnor was born on August 16th 1886 and was commissioned into the 10th (Prince Of Wales's Own Royal) Hussars on December 30th 1908. He had been educated at Eaton and Christ Church College Cambridge (not at Oxford as his service record states in error). His father was a Mr A Turnor of 9 Clareges Street, London. Turnor served with the regiment in India from March 1909 to November 1912 and qualified to act as a Divisional or Brigade Signalling Officer in 1911. He was stationed with the 10th at Potchefstroom in South Africa when war was declared.

The Regimental war diary for the day of his death reads:

'...Enemy sniping during the morning and shelling started at 8.30am. Patrol of 12 men sent out in the early morning to try and stop sniping. 1 man killed and 1 wounded. Shelling lasted most of the day - very heavy in the afternoon. Capt Rose, Lt Turnor and 3 men killed. 7 men wounded and machine gun disabled ...'

Capt Rose, Lt Turnor and two of the men killed (1378 L/Cpl Waugh and 2975 Pte Mackenzie) were buried in the churchyard at Zandvoorde. The other two fatalities (Pte's 11658 Starkey and 8499 Wareham) are both commemorated on Panel 5 of the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial.

Lt Turnor's name appears on at least 3 war memorials: at Eaton School, at Christ Church College, Cambridge and on the Eaton boys memorial in the old school room behind St Georges Church in Ypres.

I hope this information is of use.

Regards

Martin

Martin, that's great. Thanks. I knew he was at Eton but wasn't aware of the date he joined the regiment. Do you have the war diary of the Shiny 10th for 1915?

Jerry

No, I'm afraid not. I have the key bits for May 1915, covering the action at Potijze etc. but not the rest. Do you have a photo of Captain Murland and if so would it be possible for me to have a copy ?

Cheers

Martin

B)-->

QUOTE(Martin B @ Oct 13 2007, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lt Christopher Randolph Turnor was born on August 16th 1886 and was commissioned into the 10th (Prince Of Wales's Own Royal) Hussars on December 30th 1908. He had been educated at Eaton and Christ Church College Cambridge (not at Oxford as his service record states in error). His father was a Mr A Turnor of 9 Clareges Street, London. Turnor served with the regiment in India from March 1909 to November 1912 and qualified to act as a Divisional or Brigade Signalling Officer in 1911. He was stationed with the 10th at Potchefstroom in South Africa when war was declared.

The Regimental war diary for the day of his death reads:

'...Enemy sniping during the morning and shelling started at 8.30am. Patrol of 12 men sent out in the early morning to try and stop sniping. 1 man killed and 1 wounded. Shelling lasted most of the day - very heavy in the afternoon. Capt Rose, Lt Turnor and 3 men killed. 7 men wounded and machine gun disabled ...'

Capt Rose, Lt Turnor and two of the men killed (1378 L/Cpl Waugh and 2975 Pte Mackenzie) were buried in the churchyard at Zandvoorde. The other two fatalities (Pte's 11658 Starkey and 8499 Wareham) are both commemorated on Panel 5 of the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial.

Lt Turnor's name appears on at least 3 war memorials: at Eaton School, at Christ Church College, Cambridge and on the Eaton boys memorial in the old school room behind St Georges Church in Ypres.

I hope this information is of use.

Regards

Martin

There has already been a thread on him in 2004 - http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...0&hl=turnor

"educated at Eaton and Christ Church College Cambridge (not at Oxford as his service record states in error)" Are we sure about that? It is either Christ's, Cambridge or Christchurch, Oxford.

According to http://www.lulu.com/content/767733 (which has a photo for sale) he was the "son of Algernon Turnor, C.B. and Lady Henrietta Turnor. Source : The Sphere" so his relatives are here http://www.thepeerage.com/p7114.htm#i71139

In May I visited Capt. Rose's grave and therefore Turnor's as well as they lay side by side. Sorry the picture quality is a bit poor.

Neil

post-719-1192352240.jpg

"educated at Eaton and Christ Church College Cambridge (not at Oxford as his service record states in error)" Are we sure about that? It is either Christ's, Cambridge or Christchurch, Oxford.

Oooops !!! - You're quite right, Ned. I have indeed got my Uni's mixed up. Does this mean I'll be 'sent down' (again !) ???

Jerry - apologies, my mistake.

Nice one guys. Turnor was a friend of my relative William Sydney Murland, they both joined the 'Shiny 10th' at the same time and Turnor fought alongside Bill in the first Battle of Ypres. Martin I can dig out a picture of Bill for you - away for a few days but will do when I get back.

Jerry

Martin, found it! This is Bill taken just before he was commissioned.

post-8747-1192357180.jpg

Jerry

Like it! Note the hunting horn ticked into his coat.

The family were well known members of the Pytchley Hunt in Northamptonshire - hunting was just about all Bill and his brother Gerry did!!

Jerry

Badby House near Daventry. Now being turned into a old folks home! Willie Murland the father of Bill and Gerry was High Sherrif of Northamptonshire and Mayor of Daventry etc. Seriously minted family.

Jerry