Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bombardier John H Tucker

Steve_T

I have posted on this subject before and cannot find the original post despite searching.

I have found my Grandfathers medal card but that as you can see tells me very little.

He was a Bombardier in the Royal Garrison Artillery Service Number 37966 though I found it listed as 37965

I have his Victory medal and that is all. Her was born 1894 and lived in Derby.

I have no further information on him apart from my father thinking he may have served in Mesopotamia

but this is only a possibility.

Last time I posted I had some helpful advice on reading material on Mesopot which was very interesting but

did not help me in my search of course.

One kind member did offer to look at Kew for me, but could find no info in the time he had.

A big thanks for that by the way.

I have been away for the summer but now wish to pick up where I left off.

So, what I need to know is, what is my next step if I have any chance at all?

Thanks

JHTmedalcard.jpg

Click above left on Steve T - then look at your previous posts

His number would indicate someone who enlisted October 1912. Given there does not appear to be another MIC one can only say that from this one he did not appear to go abroad until 1916. He could of course gone overseas before the Great War. Your only hope is to see whether a battery is given on the medal rolls, which is indicated by the RGA 114/B, page 1340.

Regards Kevin

Click above left on Steve T - then look at your previous posts

Thanks, tried that and it keeps coming up with an error message, I actually had to start a thread and now the Steve_T link works. Odd but true

His number would indicate someone who enlisted October 1912. Given there does not appear to be another MIC one can only say that from this one he did not appear to go abroad until 1916. He could of course gone overseas before the Great War. Your only hope is to see whether a battery is given on the medal rolls, which is indicated by the RGA 114/B, page 1340.

Regards Kevin

Thank you Kev Row. How can you tell that he didn't go abroad until 1916?

What does the 114/B mean?

So, do I now need to go to Kew to look at page 1340?

Given there is no mention of a 1914 Star or 1914-15 Star it would indicate that he went after those dates. There may be a possibility that he had another MIC that is not listed. The rolls are like books that list every person who received a medal and for John Tucker he is listed in 114/B page 1340. You have to look this up at Kew, or if you put a request in "National Archives at Kew" some kind person may have a look for you. You could also ask to see whether his service records are available, which I think should be in WO 363/T 1067 .

Regards Kevin

Given there is no mention of a 1914 Star or 1914-15 Star it would indicate that he went after those dates. There may be a possibility that he had another MIC that is not listed. The rolls are like books that list every person who received a medal and for John Tucker he is listed in 114/B page 1340. You have to look this up at Kew, or if you put a request in "National Archives at Kew" some kind person may have a look for you. You could also ask to see whether his service records are available, which I think should be in WO 363/T 1067 .

Regards Kevin

Ok I understand now. According to my Dad his mother said that he deserted and later re-enlisted, but my Dad doesn't know if there may be any truth in the story. Apparently his wife was quite cruel to him at times. Of course if it is true I have no idea of when, where or under what name these events took place and I suppose I am unlikely to find this out.

Thanks again for the help Kev I will see if anyone going to Kew can see if his records are available and make my first visit worthwhile.

Is 137923 Sgt. John H Tucker one of the other men you downloaded with this MIC? He should not have a Star as his number would indicate someone enlisting early 1917. Anything on this mans MIC to indicate that a duplicate had been given or corrected? There is a possibility that being a Sgt. he may have served previously.

Regards Kevin

Steve,

Page 1340 is in the Medal roll file WO329/264, which I think you can just request a copy of that page online, but this is the reference you need anyhow. By my reckoning there is a 60% chance that his battery will be named in that particular roll, and even if he is not and it just says Base Details, it should still throw some light on whether he deserted or not as there will be lots of remarks in red by his name if he did, so worth perusing.

Rgds Paul

Is 137923 Sgt. John H Tucker one of the other men you downloaded with this MIC? He should not have a Star as his number would indicate someone enlisting early 1917. Anything on this mans MIC to indicate that a duplicate had been given or corrected? There is a possibility that being a Sgt. he may have served previously.

Regards Kevin

Sorry Kevin no 137923 is not on the same MIC

Steve,

Page 1340 is in the Medal roll file WO329/264, which I think you can just request a copy of that page online, but this is the reference you need anyhow. By my reckoning there is a 60% chance that his battery will be named in that particular roll, and even if he is not and it just says Base Details, it should still throw some light on whether he deserted or not as there will be lots of remarks in red by his name if he did, so worth perusing.

Rgds Paul

Thanks Paul I will try looking along those lines

Steve