Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Magazines

dorrie

I have read the complete collection of the Wipers Times and I am now reading the 5th Glosters Gazette 1915-1919 in book form.

DId many battalions have Trench magazines and if so have they been compiled in to books like Wipers Times?

They make exceelent and fascinating reading

Tim

Tim

Try The Kemmel Times, The Somme Times, The BEF Times & The Better Times.

All of these were compiled into one book, along with the Wipers Times. Published 1973 by Peter Davies Ltd, London.

Andy

There has been a recent (2006) new reprint of the Wipers Times in all its incarnations:

Wipers Times, New Church Times, Kemmel Times, Somme Times, B.E.F. Times, and Better Times

Tom

If anyone comes across any copies of 'The Incinerator' could they please, please make the forum aware?

And if anybody's interested ? I have a complete reprint of AUSSIE and half a dozen original issues too. "MO" (ps. I also have an original copy or 2 of RISING SUN)

Des,

I have a copy of the Incinerator. There were i think only two issues done, by Lt Monard of the YCV. He was a Londoner who survived the war.

Rob

Anything of major interest in it Rob? I've only seen a front cover.

Des

Des,

I have a copy of the Incinerator. There were i think only two issues done, by Lt Monard of the YCV. He was a Londoner who survived the war.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Des,

You haven't read Lt Monard's 'Tim Collins' speech then?

Will dig it out and e-mail it to you.

Rest of it has bits and pieces of YCV interest, guys moving within the Btn etc

Rob

If you Google you can find some French papers as well. Le Mouchoir printed in the Bois le Prêtre is just one. That was ineresting as the editor was a well known artist/ sketcher and he did some wonderful drawings and cartoons for the paper.

Strangely, the French army was not in favour of these papers - unknown why - and so he did colour drawings for he army commander, chief of staff, division commander, and black and white for the rest. The mighty ones liked the drawings and so let it carry on. Sadly he editor was killed just before the end.

The colour drawings are mostly available on he internet. Note that they are of real places and can be matched up still on the ground.