Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

REMEMBERING TODAY

priv

Neglected by many as a woman. Killed for a cause that was essentially good, and because she was not afraid to speak out for what she knew to be right.

EdithCavellMemorialPBoroCathedral.jpg

Edith's memorial in Peterborough Cathedral

Neglected by many as a woman. Killed for a cause that was essentially good, and because she was not afraid to speak out for what she knew to be right.

In the House of Commons, Asquith paid tribute to Edith Cavell as "one of the brave women" England had not known existed among their womenfolk. Millicent fawcett indignantly accused him of "wilful blindness".

I frequently pass St Leonard's Hospital on Kingsland Road, London, where she worked. There is a plaque to her memory on the outside. I wonder how many people see it and know who she was?

Here is the great lady herself:

EdithCavell0010.jpg

I picked this image up a few months ago in a bundle of postcards (nothing very exciting there I think - it was just to start off a collection) which I got from someone whose father had brought back from the front. I thought this was a postcard too but on closer inspection it deosn't appear to be one - it's the same size as one but the front of it is printed on a silk like material and glued to card.

• 2 weeks later...

Saved from a similar fate by the Armistice Ada Cole was a nurse in Belgium during the war. Like Edith Cavell she helped allied soldiers escape, was caught by the Germans and was under a death sentence. She may have been working in Belgium since 1911. Did she know Edith Cavell? Does anyone know anything more about Ada Cole?

Grateful, as always, for any assistance.

Best wishes,

David

Marina,

Thanks for the link. I am already in touch with the ILPH. I wondered if there was something which they did not know. Did, for example, Cole and Cavell serve together in the same hospital?

Thanks for getting in touch.

Best wishes,

David

David

There are some documents at TNA pertaining to her arrest in Antwerp in 1918 - don't know what they comprise, and you may already have checked them out.

FO383/378 [Prisoners of War and Aliens Department] 1918

[includes]

Louise Cole and Ada Cole: arrest by German Police in Antwerp

Sue

We did visit her grave near the Norwich Cathedral 2 years ago.

2chrsbq.jpg

And the memorial for her near the cathedral.

2ic08x2.jpg

Greetz, Margreet

Sue,

Many thanks for that reference. I will check it the next time I am at the NA. I did not know that Louisa was with her sister.

Thanks for getting in touch.

Best wishes,

David

We did visit her grave near the Norwich Cathedral 2 years ago.

2chrsbq.jpg

And the memorial for her near the cathedral.

2ic08x2.jpg

Greetz, Margreet

In the photograph there appears to be a medal or necklet on the bar of the cross. Did you place this there pre photograph or was it there and left by a previous visitor?

No, it was not me who placed it there, must have been a previous visitor.

Margreet

• 11 months later...

Whilst a student, many, many years ago, I worked summer holidays at the London Hospital Computer Dept.......

on Edith Cavell Street.

Thinking of her today

There's usually a well attended Memorial Service at her graveside each year, our local WFA branch forming part of the wreath laying party. Unfortunately I couldn't attend last year, and sadly I've read nothing about it this year.

Her dedication, and her dignity in those final days made her a very special lady.

Keith

Just an update on yesterday's message. The Edith Cavell Memorial Service will be held at her graveside in the Cathedral grounds next Saturday at 11 a.m. I hope to see a few of you local pals there.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

And, of all places, there is an Edith Cavell street in Hillbrow in Johannesburg. Whether by accident or not, the General Hospital used to be very close by.