Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Entitlement

derekb

I am researching James or Jim Stananought who lived in Rock Ferry, Wirral and was at Knowsley Camp in December 1915.

I couldn't find any trace of a medal entitlement for him in the MIC.

Has anyone got any ideas or suggestions.

It may pay for you to be creative in your spelling of the surname, Derek. I could see a lot of room for spelling errors with that name! The cards are handwritten and people have had to transcribe what they think they see written in order for us to do a search online.

Other than that, did he have a middle name, or was perhaps James/Jim his middle name and he didn't use his first?

Allie

Derekb,

You might try a search using his service number and regiment, cutting out the name altogether.

Do you have those details?

There is also the possibility that he did not go overseas and did not qualify for any medals.

Tell us what you know and we will try to find you some answers.

Cheers,

Nigel

If he never went overseas there will be no MIC. there was one of the same surname in the Cheshires.

Description Medal card of Stananought, Arthur

Corps Regiment No Rank

Cheshire Regiment 4614 Private

Labour Corps 170432 Private

Date 1914-1920

a realtive maybe?

I am researching James or Jim Stananought who lived in Rock Ferry, Wirral and was at Knowsley Camp in December 1915.

I couldn't find any trace of a medal entitlement for him in the MIC.

Has anyone got any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks to Allie, Nigel & Welshdoc,

I think he may be James Stananought ho lived in Liverpool and wouls have been 37 in 1915, his occupation was "Cotton Salesman", which would fit with what appears to be his association with the Liverpool Pals.

On a photographic postcard of the officers and nco's of I believe the 17 KLR and postdated "Prescot 20 DEC 15", he says "I hear arumour that our company will not be away at Xmas, but for new year. I hope it is not true".

Perhaps he didn't serve overseas.

Derek