The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sub Lt Newton Campbell RNR

stevebecker

Mates,

Do you have anything of this officer?

He was granted a commision into the RNR from the AIF in Nov 1916.

He had been attached from Gallipoli as a Sgt in the 1st LHR to the Tug "Hamburg" then to master of the ARPE Tug "Savoia" in Alexandria harbour before being disch to British Navy prom Sub/Lt RNR in Nov 1916.

He appears to have travel to the UK to report the officer of the Coast Guards and Res's for other duties but there is no mention of what that may be?

Can you fill in any details of this officer.like what ship he may have bee posted to in the UK?

Cheers

S.B

RNR officer records are offline in ADM 240 and ADM 340. Which ships he was in would be shown in the Navy List.

Steve,

In the the Navy List, December 1918 he is listed under:-

R.N.R. TEMPY. SUB. LIEUTS. [FOR GENERAL SERVICE].

Newton Campbell [Act. Lieut.]. Date of Seniority, 24 Nov. 1916. Where Serving, President III.

There has been a thread running on President III. Perhaps other Forum members with access to previous Navy Lists can give you info on him between Nov. 1916 & Dec. 1918.

Regards,

ARABIS.

Mates,

Thanks so far but its still hard to make out.

Not being in the UK that makes checking there very hard?

But I take it he when he arrived in the UK he was attached to HMS President III a training base for service in the DAMS or Q ships.

After that he would have been sent to the many Q ships on service?

But what that ship is we may never know unless I get someone to check the Naval lists in the UK to see in what ships he served?

Cheers

S.B

Steve,

I have looked him up under President III [D.A.M.S.] in the same Navy List, & he is listed there from 19th June 1918. I do not know where he was before that date.

Regards,

ARABIS.

Mate,

Thanks.

Looks like he finished the war off in a training estab.

Cheers

S.B

Steve,

President III is listed as an accounting base in Lt. Cdr. Warlow`s Shore Establishments of the Royal Navy. So as I understand it he could have been on Defensively Armed Merchant Ships from 19th June 1918 while being paid etc from President III.

Cheers,

ARABIS.

President III was an accounting base, initially in Bristol and then Windsor, it was the HQ for the personnel on Defensively Armed Merchant Ships, his pay was worked out there, post sent there and routine admin done there. It does not mean that he was stationed in Windsor, just that the ships he was on did not do their own admin for naval personnel.

There are also threads on DAMS on the forum. The uboat war was not a cushy billet!