Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

18th Bn Highland Light Infantry

MalcolmStewart

I'm researching - Major William Grant Stewart (b.1888 in Perthshire)- my grandfather and his military service. He won his MM as a 2nd Lt 18th Bn Highland Light Infantry cited London Gazette issue 31158 of 31 Jan 1919 "For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during operations SE of Ypres from 28/9 to 1/10/18. He was invlauable as intelligence officer. He showed utter contempt of danger on several occasions, going forward to flanks to reconnoitre positions thus keeping his officer commanding informed of the situation."

I have found his medal card and can see that he was originally with the RaSC (No. 3/29537) where he rose from Pte to A/SMQs before being commissioned. Later he joined the 4th Nigeria Regiment and the West Africa Field Force. He was a career soldier (joined under age or so the family say) and died in 1986. He often said he was proud to have drawn his pension for longer than he served!

I would like to know more about the regiments in which he served, particularly the 18th Bn HLI as well as service in Africa. I think the 18th Bn HLI may have been a Bantam regiment but how was it founded, where did it serve etc. Can anyone help? Many thanks

MGS,

Not much info but it will answer at least one of your questions.

If you go to the Forum Home Page-Army-you'll find the HLI and some basic information about the 18th.

I'm sure somone will be along shortly with more info e.g. Museum address,etc.

George

MGS Welcome to the Forum.

18th (Service ) Bn Raised Glasgow 26th Feb 1915 and was indeed a Bantam Bn. go to Long Long Trail this Site for further Information. Cheers Rob.

MGS. Some further information on the 18th Bn. Raised 26/2/1915 Glasgow. and to Girvan Camp Ayrshire May 1915. Gailes June 1915. Masham Yorks in 106th Bde. 35th Division. taken over by the War Office. Aug 1915. Salisbury Plain. 1/2/1916 landed at Havre. Early in 1917 it ceased to be a bantam Bn. 23/9/1917 Glasgow Yeomanry (RHQ A and B Sqdns 4 Officers and 146 men) formerly V Corp Cav Regt, now dismounted, amalgamated with the Battalion at Aizecourt Le Bas. Became the 18th (Royal Glasgow Yeomanry) Battalion 11/11/18 106th Bde.35th Division. Belgium; West of Grammont.

This Information is from British Regiments 1914-1918.

Hope this is of some help. Cheers Rob.

Rob/Dycer,

Thanks for your very prompt replies.

I've looked at the HLI (now RSF) Museum website and the fabulous Long Long Trail site and googled the www but I thirst for more!! Any guidance on where to go next would be appreciated.

Thanks

Malcolm

Malcolm,

I'm not an HLI buff but there are many on the Forum.

Do I take it that a visit to London/Glasgow is out of the question?

I would suggest the most definitive record of the Battalion's activities is its War Diary.A copy should be held at the National Archives in Kew and the Regimental Museum may hold a copy.I know the 9th HLI War Diary is available on Line(or I can e-mail you a copy) but I don't know about the 18th

There may also may be a Regimental History covering the War but due to the number of HLI Battalions there will not be much in-depth information about the 18th.

My interest rests with a Royal Scots Battalion and luckily the local Newspaper printed a History shortly after the War but this seems to be the exception rather than the rule.Someone on the Forum may know of an 18th HLI Unit History.

Please p.m. me an e-mail contact address if you want a copy of the 9th HLI War Diary so you can decide if access to the 18th War Diary would assist your research.

George

George,

Thanks for the offer of the 9th's war diary. I have read a war diary online and found it fascinating. I think trips to London and Glasgow are the answer. Gives me an excuse for a day out in any case!

Regards

Malcolm

• 3 months later...

Hi Malcom

If you go to www.rhf.org.uk which is the Royal Highland Fusiliers Web Page - RHF is now 2 Scots of the Royal Regiment of Scotland you can click on the pipe banner and on the next page you will see a section on "on line books" listing Proud Heritage and war diaries of a couple of HLI regiments including the 9th Bn - this may help you and save you a trip

Raymond Bell - Dinger