The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Joseph I Starkey - Hep with MIC

sornblippy

I'm attempting to research my grandfather, Joseph Illingworth Starkey, and having found his MIC, I'm having trouble understanding both the second regiment listed and the third medal listed which appears to read GSMed GSM/TC/1-33 Clasp Iraq ?.

I've attached a copy of the MIC, and any assistance/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

David Starkey

post-10568-1191962350.gif

The 2nd "Regiment" is the Tank Corps.

The GSM = General Service Medal with the Iraq Clasp, a post-war campaign medal.

And welcome to the Forum!

Steve.

The 2nd "Regiment" is the Tank Corps.

The GSM = General Service Medal with the Iraq Clasp, a post-war campaign medal.

And welcome to the Forum!

Steve.

Thanks Steve, it's obvious now you've said it. I'd convinced my self the first character was a Y, and not a T.

As for the the GSM - is the GSMed GSM/TC/1 - 33 Clasp Iraq simple General Service Medal/Tank Corps/ Role & Page/ Iraq Clasp?

And is the odd character (an O with a diagonal through it) between GSMed and GSM meaningless?

David

The 0/ character tells the medal stamper to put the Royal Berkshire Regiment details on his GSM (there are two characters linking the parts of the MIC together) and not the Tank Corps, even though the medals were done by the medal office responsible for administering the Tank Corps medals.

I see the Tank Corps number is a 7 digit one. With an infantry regiment, we would normally associate 7-digit numbers with the very early 20s. I would suggest that he may have served through the war in the RBR and also in Iraq, and then transferred to the Tank Corps after the post-war Iraq campaign? Hopefully, someone can help on that.

i.e. he was in the Tank Corps when the medal rolls were produced (there is often a date on the actual roll itself), but not during the Great War itself, nor the Iraq campaign:

Iraq clasp to G.S.M.

"This clasp was presented to those who satisfied one of the following conditions:

Served at Ramadi or north of a line east and west through Ramadi between 10 December 1919 and 13 June 1920.

Part of an establishment within Iraq between 1 July and 17 November 1920."

http://www.stephen-stratford.co.uk/gsm_1918_62.htm

I wonder if he continued serving into the 1920s, and thus his records may still be held by the M.o.D.

Steve.

The 5329237 number is a Royal Berkshire Regt No from Army Order 388 of 1920, the numbers from the RBR are 5,328,001-5,373,000. His BWM & VM were issued from the Warwick Records Office, code "L" 105=Royal Berkshire Regt.

The Tank Corps, Records Office was code TC, AO 388 of 1920 No 7,868,001-8,109,000.

The RBR had 8 Bn overseas in WW1, The 10,11,12 & 13th Bn were Labour Battalions with would have transferred to the Labour Corps in 1917.

The code & page numbers on the MIC will give you the Vol & page No for the Medal Roll at the NA Kew, L-105-B18-3015=WO329/1444 this is the Vol/book you would need to order to find his Battaion.

As Steve as said he transferred to the Tank Corps at some point before his GSM was issued. If you find his GSM medal Roll it may tell you who he was attach to in Iraq, as the Royal Berkshire Regt, did not go to Iraq as a Battalion.

The 5329237 number is a Royal Berkshire Regt No from Army Order 388 of 1920, the numbers from the RBR are 5,328,001-5,373,000. His BWM & VM were issued from the Warwick Records Office, code "L" 105=Royal Berkshire Regt.

The Tank Corps, Records Office was code TC, AO 388 of 1920 No 7,868,001-8,109,000.

The RBR had 8 Bn overseas in WW1, The 10,11,12 & 13th Bn were Labour Battalions with would have transferred to the Labour Corps in 1917.

The code & page numbers on the MIC will give you the Vol & page No for the Medal Roll at the NA Kew, L-105-B18-3015=WO329/1444 this is the Vol/book you would need to order to find his Battaion.

As Steve as said he transferred to the Tank Corps at some point before his GSM was issued. If you find his GSM medal Roll it may tell you who he was attach to in Iraq, as the Royal Berkshire Regt, did not go to Iraq as a Battalion.

Steve & themonsstar

Thanks for the all the information, it's all been very enlightening, and has certainly inspired me to read around the subject.

Thanks again.

David

David

I am afraid there are no details about battalions on the medal roll. It is just the page and volume entry of 1435;B3015.

Regards

Mel