Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Christmas cards XI,hMS Conquest Atlantic Fleet and Haslar CMB Base in

ellshimmer

I have a christmas card on the front it has a crown and XI inside there is a poem part of it says'we are tHE secret submarine according to the papers, and we have done some wondrous stunts and cut some curious capers,our speed is thirty knots or more, we are the Mighty atom etc'.Is this card from the Great War period? The other two has a photo of Haslar CmB Base October 1919 in the Baltic.Would the photo be of interest to anybody?

Ellener - NO - was NOT employed in WW1.

Submarine X1 was built 16.03.23 and scrapped at Pembroke 12.12.36.

Much of her design was taken from captured German WW1 U-boats.

Regards Sadsac

Ellener - NO - was NOT employed in WW1.

Submarine X1 was built 16.03.23 and scrapped at Pembroke 12.12.36.

Much of her design was taken from captured German WW1 U-boats.

Regards Sadsac

Thankyou for that.Just looking through some of my Grandad's papers and there are christmas cards with photos of ships inside eg.H.M.S. Conquest, Barham,Caledon,Harebell,Tiger,Repulse,Warspite, and Royal Oak.So they must be after 1918.Also invitations from Vice admiral Sir William Nicholson.so at least I know what years these are from.So thankyou again.

post-26149-1192005395.jpg

Ellener

If you Google "Haslar CMB base" you will get (not only your enquiry !)a few articles about it and the boats. Where did you get Haslar in the Baltic ? I thought it was at Gosport,where,next to the Naval Hospital of that name there was a CMB base !

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Ellener / Soton, HASLAR is certainly the hospital at Gosport, so photo not there. The icing on the boats make it too much for that area. It must surely be BALTIC. As to them being being Motor boats - some "C" Class submarines were no longer required as submarines so were converted into M.B's, this was certainly the case in MALTA, where at least three were converted - not too sure whether same took place in Baltic, but C boats were there tranferred on barges Divina to Archangel. Just a thought !

KOKO Sadsac

Sadsac

I understand that winters were a bit fiercer in those days,but really am not saying that THE PIC was taken there !!! Merely that Haslar was nearby to a fast craft base in Gosport, latterly called HMS HORNET but which may early on have been called Haslar too,which was finally closed after the disposal of the FAST BORDERER class of 60 knot patrol boats (MTB) in the 60s.

Sotonmate

Ellener

If you Google "Haslar CMB base" you will get (not only your enquiry !)a few articles about it and the boats. Where did you get Haslar in the Baltic ? I thought it was at Gosport,where,next to the Naval Hospital of that name there was a CMB base !

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Hello, I am sorry I know nothing at all about the cardsThe Christmas card with the photo inside also has a poem in called The Eggshell by Rudyard Kipling.On the front of the card it reads HASLAR C.M.B.Base and a picture of a devil holding an anchor sitting in an eggshell. From Charles Stanfield.I understand them to be after the Great war.Thanks Ellener