Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What Regiment?

the_sting

Hello. I've got a few pictures of my great-grandad from World War I and I was wondering what regiment or corps he may have been in. He was from the North-East so i would expect it to be a Northern Regiment. However, I have heard through family members that he did something with telegraph poles so i thought it may have been the Royal Engineers. Sorry the picture is not the best, I had to crop the image to be able to upload it. I have some others if anyone wants to see them. Any help would be appreciated.

Pic_1.2.JPG

post-26108-1191938838.jpg

Hello. I've got a few pictures of my great-grandad from World War I and I was wondering what regiment or corps he may have been in. He was from the North-East so i would expect it to be a Northern Regiment. However, I have heard through family members that he did something with telegraph poles so i thought it may have been the Royal Engineers. Sorry the picture is not the best, I had to crop the image to be able to upload it. I have some others if anyone wants to see them. Any help would be appreciated.

He was a Royal Engineer - if he was a lineman working on telegraph then he would have been with the RE Signal Service. It is possible that the shoulder title says that on it but it is a bit blurred to make out.

Alan

Just to point out that the s/t is T/RE/???????? (Northumbrian) perhaps, a territorial unit anyhow,

cheers, Jon

edit... a close up of the s/t may reveal more

Thanks for the fast replies. His name was John Foster Edmondson. I've tried researching him but have not been able to find anything. I'll post some more pictures later tonight when i have time. I know that he was shot and rescued by someone who recieved the M.M. I don't think he was territorial as I've heard that he definitely heard that he went abroad, but I'm no expert on this.

This may be him:

Medal card of Edmondson, J

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Engineers T 1544 Sapper

Royal Engineers 459301 Sapper

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=3

He has two numbers, the longer one being a 1917 conversion of his old number to a new system. His later number identifies him as a member of the 2nd Northumbrian Field Company. The company also changed its name in 1917 to the 447th Field Company and was part of 50th Division.

http://www.1914-1918.net/50div.htm

Though Territorials were originally supposed to be for home defence, the vast majority of the T.F. units existing as of August 1914 saw overseas service.

Steve.

[quote name='the_sting' date='Oct 9 2007, 03:25 PM' post='776110'

I know that he was shot and rescued by someone who recieved the M.M.

Isn't that cheating? Shooting someone and then rescuing them seems a bit, well, not quite the done thing.

Seriously, the shoulder title is territorial - they certainly went overseas: as Stebie says, his unit was part of the 50th (Northumbrian) Division, which went overseas in April 1915 and had a very hard-fighting war.

The 2nd(Northumbrian)Field Company, Royal Engineers(T.F.) were located at the Drill Hall, Barras Bridge, Newcastle, as was the Northumbrian Divisional Signal Company. The shoulder title is probably "T/RE/NORTHUMBRIAN".

Graham.