Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What regiment please?

ellshimmer

I have just joined this forum and I would like to know what regiment these two soldiers are in,please.I beleive they are my Grandads two brothers.My grandad was in Royal Field Artillery Sgt. D.C.M. M.M but I know nothing of his brothers.Thankyou

post-26149-1191927044.jpg

Both are Northumbria Fusilers (could be RWF but the badge appears to be one piece). The one with the collar badges on the right is in a Pioneer unit.

Alan

Both are Northumbria Fusilers (could be RWF but the badge appears to be one piece). The one with the collar badges on the right is in a Pioneer unit.

Alan

Thankyou.If they are Grandad's brothers they were from Scruoton, North Yorkshire, would they be in this regiment?

RWF = Royal Welsh Fusiliers, by the way.

The man on the left has a good conduct stripe denoting two years of good conduct in the Army. (By the looks of him, he must have enlisted when he was about 12!!)

Steve.

Do you know their names as a quick search on the MIC database will confirm.

Jon

There was 3 brothers John William Kemp 23/10/1890

Arthur Edward kemp 4/9/1894

Herbert Kemp 22/01/1902

All born Scruton, Northallerton,North Yorkshire. Thankyou

There was 3 brothers John William Kemp 23/10/1890

Arthur Edward kemp 4/9/1894

Herbert Kemp 22/01/1902

All born Scruton, Northallerton,North Yorkshire. Thankyou

This is the photo of the third brother(if I have uploaded correctly, all new to me).There is a card with this one it reads M & mme Jules Dupuis-Depinoy Belgique.

post-26149-1191931375.jpg

I would say he is NF as well as the size and shape of the flame of the greanade is too big for the RWF which is much smaller in proportion. Again this chap has pioneer collar badges on.

Alan

And again,..... he looks so young!... he would only be about 5' 2"/5'3" as well..

Ivan.

I would say he is NF as well as the size and shape of the flame of the greanade is too big for the RWF which is much smaller in proportion. Again this chap has pioneer collar badges on.

Alan

Thank you again. I have these pictures in grandad's bible, but of course he did not write on the back, who they were.I am very grateful to all who has helped with this. I have alot of military papers with Grandad on he was Frederick kemp enlisted August 1914 reg no 39675, RFA 107 brigade, A Battery.Mentioned in London Gazzette for D.C.M. awarded France 1918. Regards Ellener

Good chance these are they....

From NA MICs:

Description Medal card of Kemp, John W

Corps Regiment No Rank

Northumberland Fusiliers 3/8493 Private

John appears to have been a casualty:

Name: KEMP, JOHN WILLIAM

Initials: J W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Northumberland Fusiliers

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 24/04/1915

Service No: 8493

Additional information: Husband of Catherine Kemp, of 8, Kendrew St., Darlington.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 8 and 12.

Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

++

Description Medal card of Kemp, Arthur Edward

Corps Regiment No Rank

Northumberland Fusiliers 17/530 Private

Ian

Thankyou.If they are Grandad's brothers they were from Scruoton, North Yorkshire, would they be in this regiment?

Northumberland Fusiliers were a Tyneside Regiment and thereabouts. 30 minutes up the A1!

The 17th Bn were the North East Railway Pioneers.

Good chance these are they....

From NA MICs:

Description Medal card of Kemp, John W

Corps Regiment No Rank

Northumberland Fusiliers 3/8493 Private

John appears to have been a casualty:

Name: KEMP, JOHN WILLIAM

Initials: J W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Northumberland Fusiliers

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 24/04/1915

Service No: 8493

Additional information: Husband of Catherine Kemp, of 8, Kendrew St., Darlington.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 8 and 12.

Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

++

Description Medal card of Kemp, Arthur Edward

Corps Regiment No Rank

Northumberland Fusiliers 17/530 Private

Ian

Thankyou for taking the time to find this information.I have just found John william's father's death notice in the 1940's and it says 'chief mourners Mr William Kemp(son) and Arthur was present too. So there must be 2 John William's, or another explanation.I have a vague memory of visiting this William as he was known in about 1963.But once again the information was very interesting insight.

soldier three is a drummer, wearing the gilding metal drum upper right sleeve.

Thankyou for this information, it's not just an old photo now.I feel as if I know him more now.He doesn't look very old.

OK, so I had to do the others as well...

Thankyou so much, it actually brings the photo more to life.This picture postcard is written in French and how did they have the money to have photos taken in a studio surroundingOnce again brilliant thankyou. regards Ellener I must say this site is the best,I posted a query re. some ships and someone has given me answers there.

Thankyou so much, it actually brings the photo more to life.This picture postcard is written in French and how did they have the money to have photos taken in a studio surroundingOnce again brilliant thankyou. regards Ellener I must say this site is the best,I posted a query re. some ships and someone has given me answers there.

Don't forget that not many people had personal cameras at that time, and nearly all photographs were from professional studios. No doubt they were priced for the average pocket then. You will note that the majority of all the portraits of servicemen you see here were originally studio pics.

Ian