Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

''s-Gravenzande cemetery

Sir Cliff

On 22-09-1914 the cruisers Aboukir, Hogue and Cressy were torpedoed and sunk by the submarine E9 near Hook of Holland.

In total 1459 officers and sailors did not survive this disaster.

A number of them washed ashore on the Dutch coast. These were buried in cemetery Beukenhage in

's- Gravenzande. This is located just above Hook of Holland.

Yesterday I visited this cemetery and I took some pictures which I want to share.

Regards,

Sir Cliff

Plaque in Dutch and English

post-3829-1191921781.jpg

post-3829-1191921956.jpg

14 stones in a row plus the one for serjeant Farmer which is located to the left of them

post-3829-1191922761.jpg

Thanks, Sir Cliff, for sharing your photos. Are the inscriptions that don't show up on your pic eroded and illegible, or is it just that the contrast is poor and they don't photograph well?

The memorial to 97 Unknowns evidently marks a collective grave used for British naval/merchant/fishing fleet casualties washed ashore there throughout the War. The same tidal currents presumably also brought in German casualties — is there a corresponding memorial for them?

Mick

Mick,

The stones are indeed so eroded that the names are hardly readable. Only the one of serjeant Farmer is a more recent one

and easy to photograph.

Overall the maintenance is not up to the standards that we know from the cemeteries in Belgium and France. You can see that

the grass is not regularly mown.

As to a monument for German sailors that may have washed ashore I am not aware that such a monument in the Netherlands exists.

Best regards,

Sir Cliff