Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeebrugge veteran

michaelmclaren

We recently came across the discharge certificate for my wife's Great-Grandfather who was in the Royal Marine Light Infantry. He was Ply17129 William R.H. Cuthbert and the certificate states that he served on HMS Diana from 12/4/1915 until 10/11/1917 and that he took part in the Zeebrugge attack 22/23 April 1918. It also appears that he may have lied about his age to enlist as he gives his date of birth as 11/10/1896 when the correct date is 11/10/1897.

I have tried to find his medal index card but can find no mention of him, or in the national archives section on Naval Divisions. Is this common?

I would be very grateful if anyone can direct me to where I may be able to find out more about this man's service and the part he may have played in this famous raid.

Michael

• 4 weeks later...

Michael,

I have a copy of the 4th Battalion Royal Marines Light Infantry Muster list for the Zeebrugge Raid and it lists Private W R Cuthbert (Service Number 17129) as serving with No.12 Platoon. This means that during the Zeebrugge Raid he landed on the Mole from HMS Vindictive. If you send me your email address to paulkendall291@aol.com I can send to you a scanned copy of this page, plus a group photo of No.12 Platoon taken before the raid.

Kind regards

Paul

Naval personnel do not have medal index cards. Perhaps, from your posting this topic under "Soldiers", you thought he was a soldier. You can obtain his service record from Kew (there are helpful on-line guides on how to do this) and, for more papers including his attestation and discharge, you should contact the Fleet Air Arm Museum.

Thanks for the advice, from your replies it looks like I can now get somewhere with the research!

Best Wishes

Michael