Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIC Help

saintconor

Hi, wonder if anyone could tell me a little about this MIC belonging to a relative. would love to know if he was ever caught again. would love to know if he ever got his medals. he later went on to serve during WW2.

Conor

post-20146-1191865713.jpg

Conor, very interesting. I would think that the answer is that he did indeed receive his medals - they were not authorised until after the war, and therefore after his "desertion."

And, yes, he was "caught" or otherwise returned to the UK if he subsequently served in WW2

There might be some aditional information on the actual medal rolls themselves? Also, has his service record survived at TNA?

However, those more expert than I may have completely different ideas about this!

Noel

Conor

I will send you the Medal Roll images I took yesterday on your behalf,but need your e-mail add.

WO329/945 page 546 (BW &VMs) is annotated " No medals-deserted 29.1.17".

WO329/2667 page 16 (1914-1915 Star)has a more lengthy list of gobbledegook in the remarks column: "Retd.1743 KR (1912)CRV.460/B.4/21.12.33.8153/Adt."

I would be REALLY impressed if we got an explanation for this from our members !

Best wishes

Sotonmate

We were trying to get to the bottom of the award of campaign medals where desertion had been marked on this thread:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...1&hl=pardon

Graham is convinced that a general amnesty was granted.

My view is that all those who were actually sentenced and still serving their sentence received an 'amnesty' in 1919 under the provisions of the Commutation of Sentences Act and the Army simply ceased to look for deserters.

As for the award of campaign medals, I can only express a view based upon the Medal Rolls of the Royal Berks. In those Medal Rolls where medals are awarded to deserters, the entry is consistently marked with authorised ACI [Army Council Instruction] 75 of 1921. The deserters referred to here are those that were neither caught nor sentenced.

There are also about 20% of the deserter entries where no medals were awarded.

I surmise that those that did the bunk and subsequently wanted their campaign medals had to apply rather than be granted them automatically.

With the particular case in question (and this is a guess), I suspect that he never applied for the campaign medals and thus the entry in the BWM & Victory Roll. There was an administrative error with the 1914-15 Star Roll and the medal was issued without cross-referencing. Having issued it, there was obviously an error on the inscription so it was returned for adjustment. The adjusted medal may or may not have been returned.

Regards

Mel

Ps I will drop Graham a PM so that he can provide a completely different interpretation :P

Retd (1743 KR 1912) CRV.460/B.4/21.12.33. 8149/adt = Returned under section 1743 Kings Regulations 1912. It would mean that the medals were returned since they were unable to be delivered on. Returned on 21st December 1933.

If Medals were found to be undeliverable, (Sent by Registered Postage via the General Post Office) and after repeated attempts at Delivery and if no notification of a change of address was given by the Recipient to the Records Offices or the GPO, then the medals would have been returned to the Records Office. After a period of Ten Years the medals would be "Broken Up".

CRV is a Certified Receipt Voucher.

When medals were taken on charge by the records office, they needed to be recorded (using a CRV).

Regards Mark

Thanks Mark for interpreting the transcription.

Now all we need to explain is why the 1914-15 Star was issued and not the BWM & Victory.

Awaiting the arrival of Graham. :)

Regards

Mel

Mark

I knew I shouldn't have written it (today 6.20pm),but I AM suitably impressed !

Sotonmate

Mel,

Thanks for the PM and reading through the posts, I would think you're correct that the 14/15 Star Roll wasn't cross referenced and I think Mark is also correct that the gentleman in question wasn't "at home" when it was delivered. The reference to a Certified Receipt Voucher would account for KR's 1923 Para 987;-

[/i]"Letters containing medals are to be registered and receipts should be obtained from the persons to whom they are sent".This may account for medal vouchers/receipts that I've seen among paperwork in which one half has been torn off and sent to the Medal Office by the receiver. I think I have one in my collection, but I have over a hundred sets of paperwork to plough through to find it, but suspect Mark will know the item in question.

As in our old post by the printing of KR's 1923 "desertion" is no longer classed as a reason for forfeiture of medals as can be seen here in Para 990;-

[/i]"Medals left behind by a soldier who absents himself without leave, and is declared by a court of inquiry to be illegally absent, will be forwarded to the officer i/c records. If the man does not rejoin within one year, the medals will be disposed of as unclaimed".

As to why there seems to be some deserters with a definite "no medals" recorded on their medal roll sheets, one wonders if the Army used the "one year rule" on determining the restoration of medals to individuals during the Great War???

Graham.

Conor

Two digipics of WO329 images for BW&VM and 1914-15 Star sent last night.

Sotonmate

• 4 months later...

Have just read through this post. I had forgot all about it. Very interesting. Thank you all for your replies.

Sotonmate- Thanks for the offer but I already have copies of the medal roll entry. Maybe next time ;)

Thanks Again

Conor