Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Medal & Bar - William Edward Tallowin

Twiglet

Hello Everyone, I'm a Newbie.... :ph34r:

Got lots of questions - eek - about two of my great uncles, I hope you can help.

Firstly, W.E. Tallowin won a Military Medal and a bar (which we think was postumous). My question is, is there any way of finding out WHAT he won this medal for?

Any help, greatfully received.

Cheers

Twiglet

It's unlikely unless it was recorded in the Battalion Diaries. You can get an indication of when he won the awards by checking the date of the Gazette entries. (rule of thumb is very very roughly 3 months previously). I suppose another possibility would be local newspapers. Best of Luck

Neil

Hi Neil, thanks for your reply. I found and downloaded the medal cards last night and found the entries on the Gazette website too. I did think about newspapers, etc. I presume that's a trip to the British Library though!

Local Library would probably be more likely. I tried looking him up on CWGC in case you hadn't done that, but that site seems to be having problems. Maybe someone could look him up on SDGW for you. It probably won't tell you any more, but you never know.

Neil

I'll get on the case, although I think I may be directed back to National Archives/British Library, as they were both from London?

Yes, got all the info I could get from CWGC.

Would be VERY grateful if anyone could look up either William Edward Tallowin (20832 Royal Garrison Artillery), died 30/08/17, or Samuel Thomas Tallowin (46275 15th (The King's) Hussars), died 22/03/18. As far as we know, they were brothers.

In case you havent seen them.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=164115

and

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=1589281

The fact William was a bombadier makes it more likely he would have gotten a mention in diaries.

Neil

In case you havent seen them.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=164115

and

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=1589281

The fact William was a bombadier makes it more likely he would have gotten a mention in diaries.

Neil

Sorry, just edited my post to say I'd searched the CGWC, but the information about him being a bombardier and getting mention in the diaries is fab. Thanks for taking the time to look them up, that's very kind of you.

You want the local studies library for the area William Edward Tallowin came from, which is Tower Hamlets for his mother; or as you say the British Newspaper Library at Colindale. National Archives for the usual service record hunt. I used Tower Hamlets LS library a few years ago and it was excellent, the staff knew their stuff and had local photos as well as newspapers. If I remember correctly it was a Carnigie library, one of his temples of learning.

William Edward Tallowin and Samuel Thomas Tallowin have different next of kin, mother for 1, and father (plus wife) for the other. have you traced his father's marriage?

You want the local studies library for the area William Edward Tallowin came from, which is Tower Hamlets for his mother; or as you say the British Newspaper Library at Colindale. National Archives for the usual service record hunt. I used Tower Hamlets LS library a few years ago and it was excellent, the staff knew their stuff and had local photos as well as newspapers. If I remember correctly it was a Carnigie library, one of his temples of learning.

William Edward Tallowin and Samuel Thomas Tallowin have different next of kin, mother for 1, and father (plus wife) for the other. have you traced his father's marriage?

Hi Per Ardua - After a phone call to my Mum, she said it would take a lot of convincing for her to believe they were NOT brothers, as there are too many coincidences. My great nan said she had 2 brothers that died during WW1, and there are only 3 Tallowins on the CWGC.

The other Tallowin - William Arthur (WR/500206 - Royal Engineers), may have been an uncle or something.

Is the Library the one at Bancroft Road?

Samuel Tallowin Senior from the 1901 Census:

Name: Samuel T Tallowin

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1858

Relation: Head

Spouse's Name: Alice

Where born: Norwich

Civil Parish: St Mary Stratford Bow

Ecclesiastical parish: St Mark

County/Island: London

Street address: 16 Comboss Road, Stratford, Bow.

Condition as to marriage: Married

Registration district: Poplar

Sub-registration district: Bow

ED, institution, or vessel: 27

Household schedule number: 287

Household Members: Name Age

Samuel T Tallowin 43, born Norwich, bootmaker

Alice Tallowin 42, born Norwich, wife of Samuel

Elizabeth Tallowin 19, born Bethnal Green, laundry starcher

William Tallowin 15, born Bethnal Green,, baker in a factory

Eliza Tallowin 13, born Bethnal Green

Rose Tallowin 11, born Bethnal Green

Eleanor Tallowin 3, born Bow

Harry Tallowin 4 months, born Bow

Edward Tallowin 32, brother of Samuel, rag and bone sorter, born Norwich

Edward Tallowin 11, son of Edward, born Stratford

William Tallowin 9, son of Edward, born Stratford

Samuel T is not present but he was when the 1891 Census was taken. The family lived then at Kingsthorpe, Northampton (famous for its bootmaking). There was also a new-born Thomas Tallowin on the 1891 Census.

On the 1901 Census, there is however a Samuel Tallowin, baker, serving at Her Majesty's Pleasure in Wormwood Scrubs. This Samuel Tallowin is described as born at Homerton, Middlesex and aged 18.

It would seem that they were brothers, and William may have been a cousin.

Steve.

There are only three Samuel T Tallowins on the Birth Registers (still only a partial transcription but it is I believe over 95% complete for late 1800s).

Samuel T Tallowin, born 1914 Apr-May-Jun, Mother's Maiden Name: Pretty, Registered: West Ham, Essex, Greater London

Samuel Thomas Tallowin, born 1856 Oct-Nov-Dec, Registered: Norwich, Norfolk

Samuel Thomas Tallowin, born 1882 Apr-May-Jun, Registered: Hackney, Greater London, London, Middlesex

The 1914 Samuel may be the third generation?

William Arthur was also born at Norwich, increasing the likelihood of him being related, but he is obviously not the cousin by that evidence.

William Arthur Tallowin, born1870 Apr-May-Jun, Registered: Norwich, Norfolk

Samuel Thomas Tallowin's details:

Name: Samuel Thomas Tallowin

Year of Registration: 1882

Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun

District: Hackney

County: Greater London, London, Middlesex

Volume: 1b

Page: 524

William Edward Tallowin's Birth Details

Name: William Edward Tallowin

Year of Registration: 1886

Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar

District: Bethnal Green

County: Greater London, London, Middlesex

Volume: 1c

Page: 224

It looks like Samuel married Maud Beatrice Pretty in 1913:

Maud B Pretty 1913 Jan-Feb-Mar Tallowin Poplar (To 1965) Greater London, London, Middlesex

Samuel T Tallowin 1913 Jan-Feb-Mar Pretty Poplar (To 1965) Greater London, London, Middlesex

They seem to have had two children - Rose E, born 1912, and the abovementioned, Samuel T, born 1914.

I can't see a marriage for William Edward Tallowin.

Their mother, Alice's maiden name was Diggins.

Steve.

You guys are great!!

William's, Samuel's, Edward's, more William's. It's a nightmare!

We knew about Samuel (Jnr) being in Wormwood Scrubs :blush: We're both busting to find out what for, and are due to visit the National Archives to find out soon. He must have moved to Reading afterwards? And he actually enlisted in the Army in Dublin, so he didn't stay around in London. Perhaps the family disowned him?

Wow!! We didn't know about his and Maud's child (Rose E) born in 1912 - presumably out of wedlock if they didn't marry until 1913.

Fascinating information, many thanks all.

If I remember correctly The Tower Hamlets LS library was in Bancroft Road; Stratford is the LS library for West Ham (Newham). Both have the microfilms for the censi. Btw the CWGC road still exists in Bow so maybe the house does too.

Church records for marriages and baptisms for Tower Hamlets are probably with the London Metropolitan Archives, but check with the LS library.

I would put the number of 20382 in the RGA around 1904. If this is for the William Tallowin aged 15 in 1901, then he was an oldish regular when the war broke out. He also has the unusual rank of "Bearer" on his MIC.

There are some records for a Thomas Tallowin, born Homerton, on Ancestry. Perhaps the younger brother. Strangley when asked whether he had previously served he said yes, in the RGA underaged. He was enlisting in the 17th County of London Regt..

Regards Kevin

I suspect the "Bearer" may be Bombardier?

Steve.

I would put the number of 20382 in the RGA around 1904. If this is for the William Tallowin aged 15 in 1901, then he was an oldish regular when the war broke out. He also has the unusual rank of "Bearer" on his MIC.

There are some records for a Thomas Tallowin, born Homerton, on Ancestry. Perhaps the younger brother. Strangley when asked whether he had previously served he said yes, in the RGA underaged. He was enlisting in the 17th County of London Regt..

Regards Kevin

Hi Kevin, thanks for the new information - yep, William Edward Tallowin would have been around 15/16 in 1901 - and was in his early 30's when he died in 1917 (Belgium). MIC? Medal Index Card?

I've come across Thomas Tallowin myself. He signed up in London (at a very young age), and London is where my Tallowin's are from, however, he's not William's brother. I'm in touch with a few people to try and find out who he was.

Look forward to hearing from you, and thanks again.

• 1 year later...
Guest Sam's Kid
I'll get on the case, although I think I may be directed back to National Archives/British Library, as they were both from London?

Yes, got all the info I could get from CWGC.

Would be VERY grateful if anyone could look up either William Edward Tallowin (20832 Royal Garrison Artillery), died 30/08/17, or Samuel Thomas Tallowin (46275 15th (The King's) Hussars), died 22/03/18. As far as we know, they were brothers.

Twiglet,

William and Samuel ARE brothers. Samuel Thomas Tallowin was my great, great grandfather.

If you want to communicate with me so that we can share information feel free to email me at priesttracy@hotmail.com.

Also, I looked further at some of your information and some of it is incorrect. Samuel and Maud did not have a child called Rose. This is their niece. 2 Pretty sisters (Maud and Florence, known as Fanny) married 2 Tallowin brothers. We believe that this was Samuel and William. There is no record of the marriage between William and Fanny but if you check out Rose's birth certificate, it lists her parents as William Tallowin and Fanny (Florence) Tallowin. Please contact me so that we can sort out these discrepencies.

Cheers

Tracy