Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Scott MM 1/8 Royal Scots

eltoro1960

Can anyone help identify this man from the multitude of James Scott's on TNA please?

Thanks very much.

A choice of 5 MM (or DCM) Cards:

Medal card of Scott, J

Corps: Royal Scots

Regiment No: 19634

1914-1920 WO 372/23

Medal card of Scott, J S M

Regiment No: 330273

Medal card of Scott, J

Regiment No: 20223

1914-1920 WO 372/23

Medal card of Scott, J H

Regiment No: 16813

1914-1920 WO 372/23

Medal card of Scott, J

Regiment No: 10877

1914-1920 WO 372/23

First glance, 330273 is favourite, as he has an 8th battalion number according to the LLT: "325001 to 350000 8th Royal Scots"

Steve.

Thanks for that Stebie, quick on the draw as usual,I would agree with the numbering, he appears to have the only 8th number there, cheers.

John

More than favourite!

LG 29-8-1918

330273 L./C. J. L. M. Scott, R. Scots (Dalkeith).

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a...t=&similar=

(A little initials variation between LG & MM MIC, though)

Campaign medals cards says J L M

Medal card of Scott, James L M

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Scots 330273 Private

Royal Scots 4959 Private

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=2

Steve.

Thanks very much for your help Stebie.

John

• 12 years later...

Hello

I noted your interest in the 8th Royal Scotts. I have lived in the Somme for 26 years and never cease to be fascinated by the reminders of WW1. I have been fascinated by the Underground City of Naours and the 2500+ names that were written on the walls of the tunnels by soldiers during WW1. The village of Naours was well behind the front line and soldiers would visit from nearby Vignacourt. One soldier who left his name was James SCOTT of the 8th Royal Scotts. I include a photo. There are others from Scotland. I hope you find this of interest. If you require further info please contact me. Kind regards, Paul Allen    

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_122.jpg

Wonderful find Paul, I'll drop John a line.

Hi Paul

I'm not often on GWF these days, but thank you very much for this information. Over the years I've managed to find out more about James Scott. This is from a book that I was writing but never published. I would be interested to see more names if you have them. Many thanks.

John

20200811_170603.jpg

On 08/10/2007 at 16:16, eltoro1960 said:

Thanks very much for your help Stebie.

John

Hello

I noted your interest in the 8th Royal Scotts. I have lived in the Somme for 26 years and never cease to be fascinated by the reminders of WW1. I have been fascinated by the Underground City of Naours and the 2500+ names that were written on the walls of the tunnels by soldiers during WW1. The village of Naours was well behind the front line and soldiers would visit from nearby Vignacourt. One soldier who left his name was James SCOTT of the 8th Royal Scotts. I include a photo. There are others from Scotland. I hope you find this of interest. If you require further info please contact me. Kind regards, Paul Allen    

Hello John

Is it possible to positively identify your James Scott 8th Royal Scots as the man who left his name on the wall with 100% certainty?

I would love to add him to my list with any additional information

To date there has been a lot of research on Australians who left their names on the walls. This is because the names are mainly Australian and because the Australian on-line archives are brilliant. I have also researched 30 Americans from 17th and 148th aero-squadrons with lots of help from members of theaerodrome. I have a few RFC/RAF and some army. I have also had the honour of visiting the Underground City of Naours with descendants of soldiers who left their names on several occasions.

Regards

Paul

On 12/08/2020 at 12:03, Paul in the Somme said:

Hello John

Is it possible to positively identify your James Scott 8th Royal Scots as the man who left his name on the wall with 100% certainty?

I would love to add him to my list with any additional information

To date there has been a lot of research on Australians who left their names on the walls. This is because the names are mainly Australian and because the Australian on-line archives are brilliant. I have also researched 30 Americans from 17th and 148th aero-squadrons with lots of help from members of theaerodrome. I have a few RFC/RAF and some army. I have also had the honour of visiting the Underground City of Naours with descendants of soldiers who left their names on several occasions.

Regards

Paul

To the best of my knowledge this is him, regarding Sgt S Kirkpatrick this is definitely 325009 Colour Sgt Major Samuel Kirkpatrick DCM  and MSM.

Thank you again

John

Here is another Scottish gentleman. He recorded his address and even translated Scotland into French so that locals would understand where he was from!

IMG_0100.jpg