Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for ggrandad in the Somerset Light Infantry

Guest paulhill29

Guest paulhill29

My ggrandad joined the 7th Service Battalion of the Somerset Light Infantry in Bristol on 9th September 1914.

He was posted on 2nd October 1914.

He was medically discharged in Woking on 18th November 1914.

His name was John Hill

His Regtl number was 14538

I wonder if there is any was of finding out any more information about him or is that unlikely given his short service history. (71 days)

I can't find a medal card and I would like, if possible, to find out the reason for his medical discharge.

Many Thanks, Paul Hill

Bristol

Paul

The 7th SLI was formed in Taunton on 13th Sept., 1914, a 'Kitchener' Battalion of volunteers. Your gt-grandfather would not have a medal card as he did not serve overseas (the 7th went to France in July, 1915). Woking was the first place the battalion went for training after it was formed, part of the 61st Brigade, 20th Division. You may be lucky & find his service record (although only 25-30% survive), otherwise you can speculate he was simply not medically fit to continue with military training. With so many men enlisting at the start of the war, the authorities could afford to be more selective. This, of course, changed dramatically as the conflict wore on.

Hope this helps.

Nick

Paul

John Hill has some papers (Attestation etc.) on Ancestry.

Drop me a PM with your email address and I'll email them to you if you don't have access.

Regards

Steve

Guest paulhill29

Thanks for the backgroung information Nick, it all helps to give a more complete picture of my ggrandfathers experience of the war. (even if a very limited one)

Thanks again, Paul.

Welcome to the forum Paul,

The 7th Somersets had very little equipment at the begining of their training - and spent most of their early training carrying out route marches, parades and practicing drill. I will need to check the dates, but suspect that they may not have been issued with their rifles by the time that John Hill left.

I will have a look at my papers when I next get a chance and see if there is anything else of interest.

The Light Infantry Office, Mount Street, Taunton has the Regimental records - including the battalion diary and some orderly room notes etc covering this time. If you can spare the time, you should ask them if you can go down there and have a nose through them - you may be surprised at what you find.

Good luck in your search.

Regards,

Brendon.