Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service Number clues

clarkc_bpo

Hi all,

My gt-grandfather's brother served in the 2nd bat Black Watch and died of wounds. His service number was S/7991.

There was only a year in age difference between the brothers , and they were both ploughmen on the same farm. I reckon they'd probably have enlisted together. My gt-grandfather did not die on the war, and family had always beleived that his was a reserved occupation and therefore know nothing of any service in the war.

However, I've found someone of his name in the medal roll index with a service number of S/6696 also in the Black Watch. Does the relative closeness of service numbers bear out my assumption so far? Any ideas on how I can follow this number up. There is nothing on the other surviving service records that match this number - well, at least not that I can see on the Ancestry site. My gt-grandfathers name is David Donaldson, born 1883.

any tips much appreciated.

regards

Clark

Not quite sure what you're drivng at Clark, but that form of number was common in the 2nd Black Watch. Here is a screen shot from Soldiers Died listing a number of men close to your GGF's brother's number.

post-86-1191855921.jpg

Ah right, thanks for the input. I was really wondering whether the numbers would be assigned at the time of enlistment. Thereby, when I found a 'Donaldson' with a close number in the 2nd Black Watch I was hoping that would be likely to be my gt-grandfather - assuming they enlisted around the same time that is.

Many thanks.

Clark

Not quite sure what you're drivng at Clark, but that form of number was common in the 2nd Black Watch. Here is a screen shot from Soldiers Died listing a number of men close to your GGF's brother's number.